My Learning Cat Naps: A Student's Phenomenon

• Medical
  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, nap is a way to reduce noise and help concentrate. It is used by great thinkers and billionaires.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I am trying to absorb a lot of new concepts that I am studying and trying to reason out(without luck), I find that I read them several times and then I go into a mental fatigue. Often, I will lay down and I pass into this mental state where I am not quite asleep and not quite awake. All sensory experiences are tuned out and I do nothing but work in a semi-dreamlike state on processing the concepts. This usually lasts for a couple of hours and when I "awake" I usually have any misunderstanding resolved, or at least a new way to go back and look at the material with a different approach.
I wonder if this phenomenon is something like a meditation state. I've never been able to meditate succesfully by trying to make it happen, but I wonder if my brain is able to do this for me. Is this something that other students experience?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi,

Nap is known since a long time to do so. You decrease the noisy information coming from the real world and it helps concentrating on the problem.

All great thinkers have used nap.

http://www.mensjournal.com/healthFitness/0601/napping_power.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the very interesting article, somasimple. I was especially interested in this part:
Here's how the power nap works: Sleep comes in five stages that recur cyclically throughout a typical night, and a power nap seeks to include just the first two of them. The initial stage features the sinking into sleep as electrical brain activity, eye and jaw-muscle movement, and respiration slow. The second is a light but restful sleep in which the body gets ready -- lowering temperature, relaxing muscles further -- for the entry into the deep and dreamless "slow-wave sleep," or SWS, that occurs in stages three and four. Stage five, of course, is REM, when the eyes twitch and dreaming becomes intense.
It's that second stage that I spend a lot of time in when I nap, and I am not sure if I ever go the rest of the way into SWS and REM. Of course, it could be that I am just not remembering the last stages.

p.s. I thought this was truly amazing!
When billionaire adventurer Steve Fossett broke the record for around-the-world solo jet flight last March, he slept just 60 minutes in 67 hours of flight time -- 60 minutes broken into two- and three-minute naps. "I slept when I needed it and awoke refreshed," he says. Fossett, who holds world records in ballooning, sailing, and flying, adds that none of his feats could have been done without these micro-variety "power naps."

1. What is the purpose of "My Learning Cat Naps: A Student's Phenomenon"?

The purpose of "My Learning Cat Naps: A Student's Phenomenon" is to explore and analyze the phenomenon of students taking cat naps during their learning process. The study aims to understand the reasons behind this behavior and its impact on students' academic performance.

2. What is the methodology used in this study?

The study uses a combination of qualitative and quantitative research methods. Qualitative data is collected through interviews and surveys, while quantitative data is collected through observations and academic performance metrics.

3. What are the findings of this study?

The study found that the majority of students reported taking cat naps during their learning process. The most common reasons cited for taking naps were fatigue, boredom, and stress. However, the study also found that frequent and long naps were associated with lower academic performance.

4. How does this phenomenon impact students' learning?

The study suggests that taking short, strategic naps can have positive effects on students' learning, such as improving alertness and memory. However, frequent and long naps can disrupt the learning process and lead to decreased academic performance.

5. What are the implications of this study for educators?

The study highlights the need for educators to be aware of the phenomenon of cat naps among students and to consider implementing strategies to help students manage their fatigue and stress levels. This could include incorporating short breaks or allowing students to take short naps during class breaks.