Free Fall (kinematics-what I do wrong?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of a rock thrown straight up with a velocity of +20m and its subsequent fall into a 10m deep hole. The question is asking for the impact speed of the rock at the bottom of the hole, which can be calculated using the kinematic equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2adelta(s). However, it is important to note that the initial velocity should be -20m/s instead of +20m/s, resulting in a final velocity of -24.4m/s. The conversation also touches on simplification in physics, where it is helpful to think of scenarios in terms of a car chasing a stationary object.
Kalie
A rock is tossed straight up with a velocity of +20m When it returns, it falls into a hole 10m deep.
What is the rock's velocity as it hits the bottom of the hole?
So basically it is asking for the impact speed right?
So that would be
Vf^2=Vi^2 +2adelta(s)
Vf^2=0+2*9.8*30.41
Vf^2=24.41
It says it is wrong. I know 30.41 is the right amount of the total meters in the fall since I solve another part and got the answer right. So that means that the kinematic equation is wrong so which would it be?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind it is -24.4 instead of positive...

You should be careful when you type questions ,
you had said "with a velocity of +20 m" . . .
but +20m is a location, not a velocity.

you also ended with vf^2 = 24 , rather than vf = 24 ...

I always find it easy to simplify stuff in physics, like if a car going at 50m/s is chansing a car at 30m/s, it's good to think of a car going towards a stationary object at 20m/s. In this case, ignoring wind resistance, the rock will reach the point you throw at the same speed (note I don't say velocity) as you threw it up with. So it's like a rock falling down at 10m hole where initial velocity is 20m/s (if that is what you meant by 20m).

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the sole influence of gravity. In free fall, the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity.

2. What is the acceleration of an object in free fall?

The acceleration of an object in free fall is always equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

3. Does the mass of an object affect its rate of free fall?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its rate of free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will fall with the same acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between free fall and terminal velocity?

Free fall is the initial phase of motion where an object is falling under the sole influence of gravity. Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air. Once an object reaches terminal velocity, the force of air resistance balances out the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving free fall problems?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to include the negative sign in the acceleration due to gravity, using the incorrect formula for velocity or acceleration, and not taking into account air resistance or other external forces. It is important to carefully identify the variables and their corresponding values in free fall problems to avoid these mistakes.