Linear Alg.: Proving $\left(A^2\right)^{-1}\,=\,\left(A^{-1}\right)^2$

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the inverse of the square of a matrix is equal to the square of the inverse of the matrix. One person suggests using the definition of inverse and another mentions the abstract concept of proving something. It is concluded that in this case, it is trivial to prove this statement by showing it satisfies a certain rule.
VinnyCee
Given that [itex]A^2[/itex] is invertible, does it neccesarily mean that

[tex]\left(A^2\right)^{-1}\,=\,\left(A^{-1}\right)^2[/tex]?

I know that this is true, but I have no idea on where to even start a proof of this!

Maybe:

[tex]\left(A^2\right)^{-1}\,=\,\left(A\,A\right)^{-1}[/tex]

But how would I operate on infinite matrices (i.e. - [itex]a_{i\,j}[/itex])?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](A^2)^{-1}=(AA)^{-1}=A^{-1}A^{-1}=(A^{-1})^2[/tex]

This proves that the inverse of the square of the matrix is equal to the square of the inverse of the matrix.
I'm not sure if that's sufficient, because I'm not exactly sure what the little a is supposed to be.

Last edited:
X is the in inverse of Y if and only if XY=YX=1.

VinnyCee said:
Given that [itex]A^2[/itex] is invertible, does it neccesarily mean that

[tex]\left(A^2\right)^{-1}\,=\,\left(a^{-1}\right)^2[/tex]?

I know that this is true, but I have no idea on where to even start a proof of this!

Maybe:

[tex]\left(A^2\right)^{-1}\,=\,\left(A\,A\right)^{-1}[/tex]

But how would I operate on infinite matrices (i.e. - [itex]a_{i\,j}[/itex])?

Please do NOT mix "A" and "a"! matt grimes' suggestion is exactly what you need. Use the definition of inverse.

Sorry, a little typo I made!

It's fixed now.

How to prove something? Is there am algorithim for proofs? The concept is too abstract for me to reason about it or start a problem!

Can someone list the different methods for "proving" something? OIr maybe provide a good link to this type of information?

VinnyCee said:
How to prove something?

that would depend on the 'something'

[quote[Is there am algorithim for proofs?[/quote]

no, otherwise it would be a pointless subject.

The concept is too abstract for me to reason about it or start a problem!

Can someone list the different methods for "proving" something?

There is no such list. But in this case it is trivial. You only need to show something satisfies some rule, and that is trivially easy to do in this case.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their properties. It involves the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations.

What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that when multiplied with the original matrix yields the identity matrix. In other words, it undoes the effects of the original matrix.

Why is it important to prove that $\left(A^2\right)^{-1}\,=\,\left(A^{-1}\right)^2$?

Proving this equality is important because it allows us to simplify calculations involving inverses of matrices. It also helps us understand the properties and relationships between different matrix operations.

How do you prove that $\left(A^2\right)^{-1}\,=\,\left(A^{-1}\right)^2$?

To prove this equality, we start by assuming that $\left(A^2\right)^{-1}$ and $\left(A^{-1}\right)^2$ are both defined. Then, we use the definition of matrix inverse and the associative property of matrix multiplication to show that the left and right sides are equal.

What are the applications of this equality in real life?

This equality has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, find inverses of matrices to solve optimization problems, and perform transformations in computer graphics and image processing.