Braking Parachutes for Aircraft: Max Airspeed & Benefits

• Thread starter Sojourner01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Braking
In summary: At what maximum airspeed can aircraft that possesses them, deploy them?The maximum airspeed for deploying a drag chute is the same as the maximum airspeed for deploying a parachute - the aircraft's maximum design speed.Would it be useful to aircraft to be able to deploy braking 'chutes earlier and thus at higher velocities?There is some benefit to being able to deploy a braking 'chute earlier, but it would come at a cost - the chute would be destroyed, the attachment cord would be broken, or the pilot would experience a sudden g force that would interfere with use of the flying controls.In summary, drag chutes are used to slow down an aircraft on landing, and early deployment
Sojourner01
I'm aware that some fast aircraft possesses drag 'chutes to slow them down on landing. I was pondering a few things about these...

At what maximum airspeed can aircraft that possesses them, deploy them?
Would it be useful to aircraft to be able to deploy braking 'chutes earlier and thus at higher velocities?

This, incidentally, does include more exotic 'aircraft' like shuttles and spaceplanes.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Obviously there is a max design speed for deployment, since the drag is going to be roughly proportional to speed squared. Early deployment would either destroy the chute, break the attachment cord, or give the pilot a sudden g force that could interfere with use of the flying controls.

As for earlier deployement, it's fairly easy to lose speed in a controlled manner while the aircraft is flying - just reduce engine power and put the nose up. Once on the runway, you don't have the "nose up" option, so if brakes or reverse thrust fail, chutes are a good backup system.

Also, a chute is very blunt instrument for speed control. The only options you have are first deploy it, then jettison it.

Also, a chute is very blunt instrument for speed control. The only options you have are first deploy it, then jettison it.

What about sliders and devices that control chute deployment rate and the number of canopies?

I've never seen a vehicle chute up close, but skydiving chutes have a means of controlling the jerk and chute deployment, often deployed at ~100mph (not very fast i know)

Multi-stage deployment systems, with successive stages designed for tolerance in a specific speed range would allow much faster deployment too.

Hi Sojourner01, I think you need to take a step back and ask, "what is a drag chute"?

If you consider all possible ways of converting the kinetic energy a space vehicle has upon reentry into thermal energy as being a "drag chute" then such things as hypervelocity drag chutes are already being used. The limitation isn't so much a mechanical one in which there's insufficient strength for construction of the device, the limitation is on the heat created when high velocity air is converted to heat. The device that does this conversion is going to get extremely hot. The drag chute in this case is the wings and body of the Space Shuttle for example.

If on the other hand you consider a "drag chute" only to be a fabric type of device that is deployed using some kind of theather, then perhaps we have to limit ourselves to the concept of a parachute.

Regardless of what type of device you're referring to, there's some limitation on it that is dependant on velocity because of the temperature the drag creating device will be exposed to. As velocity decreases, temperature becomes less of an issue, and mechanical strength becomes the primary issue.

Thanks Q, heat was a factor I hadn't considered.

The thought had crossed my mind that perhaps some kind of device totally unlike a 'parachute' as we know them, and more like a long streamer with a large number of protruding baffles, could be made exceptionally strong and thus able to withstand massive drag forces at very high velocities. I'm inclined to think that in order to work, a device such as this would have to rely on fluid mechanical relationships very much more complex than intuition suggests.

3trQN said:
What about sliders and devices that control chute deployment rate and the number of canopies?

I've never seen a vehicle chute up close, but skydiving chutes have a means of controlling the jerk and chute deployment, often deployed at ~100mph (not very fast i know)

Multi-stage deployment systems, with successive stages designed for tolerance in a specific speed range would allow much faster deployment too.

Remember you are trying to stop something with a bit more inertia than an average sized skydiver!

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/airshow02/elvington/elvington.htm
http://www.pioneeraero.com/2-17_air_bra.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Sojourner01 said:
Thanks Q, heat was a factor I hadn't considered.

The thought had crossed my mind that perhaps some kind of device totally unlike a 'parachute' as we know them, and more like a long streamer with a large number of protruding baffles, could be made exceptionally strong and thus able to withstand massive drag forces at very high velocities. I'm inclined to think that in order to work, a device such as this would have to rely on fluid mechanical relationships very much more complex than intuition suggests.
If you have a higher speed and need less drag, why not just use a smaller 'chute?

But in any case, for much higher speeds (like a fighter jet at just under mach 1), conventional airbrakes deploy and retract fast and produce a ton of drag. No need for a drag chute.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a braking parachute on an aircraft?

A braking parachute is a special parachute designed to slow down an aircraft during landing. It works by creating drag and reducing the aircraft's speed, making it easier to come to a complete stop on the runway.

2. What is the maximum airspeed that a braking parachute can handle?

The maximum airspeed that a braking parachute can handle varies depending on the type and size of the parachute, as well as the weight and speed of the aircraft. Generally, braking parachutes are designed to be effective at speeds up to 200 knots.

3. How does a braking parachute benefit an aircraft during landing?

A braking parachute provides several benefits for an aircraft during landing. It helps reduce the landing distance, making it possible to land on shorter runways. It also reduces the wear and tear on the aircraft's brakes, which can save on maintenance costs. Additionally, it can improve the safety of the landing by reducing the risk of skidding or hydroplaning.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a braking parachute on an aircraft?

While braking parachutes offer many benefits, there are a few disadvantages to consider. They can add extra weight and drag to the aircraft, which may increase fuel consumption. Also, they require additional training and equipment for pilots to use effectively.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a braking parachute for an aircraft?

When selecting a braking parachute for an aircraft, several factors should be considered, including the size and weight of the aircraft, the maximum airspeed it can handle, and the landing conditions it will be used in. It's also essential to consider the availability of spare parts, maintenance requirements, and the cost of installation and operation.