What is the word for a situation of perpetual motion?

• Thread starter Karma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, the word is oscillation and it describes a situation where something keeps happening over and over again.
In need of a human Dictionary!

OK - I somehow have forgotten my favorite word. I have used it for years, but for the past week it has completely slipped my mind. To all you intellectuals - please help me remember what the word is.

OK - The word is used in describing a situation of perpetual motion. Because A happens, B occurs, and because B occurs A occurs. It is either a negative or positive exponential result. Thats the best description I can think of ... please tell me the word I am looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's causality.

feedback loop? vicious circle? closed timelike curve? (last one only if you're thinking of time travel as opposed to just recurring events)

Positive feedback?

You must have been a bad karma to forget your favorite word, huh? :biggrin:

Fire truck.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Fire truck.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Self-sustaining?

Everlasting? as in Gobstoppers!

Never ending? as in the Story. :biggrin:

Auto-effectual? <- a new word made up for this thread. :biggrin:

Autoregenerative?

Something with the root 'cyclical' within?

Or along the lines of Evo's contribution - self-initiating, self-reinitiating, or autocyclic reinitating.

And I can't believe any of these could a favorite word.

Personally, I like - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Concatenate?

Circular? Circuital?

Causative?

I'm stuck on C.

Karma said:
OK - I somehow have forgotten my favorite word. I have used it for years, but for the past week it has completely slipped my mind. To all you intellectuals - please help me remember what the word is.

OK - The word is used in describing a situation of perpetual motion. Because A happens, B occurs, and because B occurs A occurs. It is either a negative or positive exponential result. Thats the best description I can think of ... please tell me the word I am looking for.
That's not much of a "favorite" word. I have a not-really-favorite word with which I persuaded my niece that she really needed to take French. The word relates to destruction and to shoes. If you figure it out WITH NO HELP I may be motivated to help you.

Favorite word? Who has a favorite word?? Oh, mine's "antepenultimate."

Mine is callipygian.

Is it indefinite? Why do you have to have such a difficult favourite word?

Should we start a game of hangman?

Last edited:
dontdisturbmycircles said:
Mine is callipygian.
Jennifer Lopez comes to mind... :rofl:

Correlation? Symbiosis? Mutual induction?

Reciprocal interaction?
Interaction between reciprocals?
Interprocal reactions?

Karma said:

Undamped harmonic motion?

Karma said:

Oscillation

Moonbear said:
Positive feedback?

You must have been a bad karma to forget your favorite word, huh? :biggrin:

No. That has nothing to do with motion.

Positive feedback is when your boss gives you an affectionate squeeze on the shoulder and says "Nice job, Brownie."

Unless you're cynical enough to mention that he did vacate his office soon after the positive feedback, so maybe it does fit.

Resonance.

"The butterfly effect".

Casacade.

"Snowball effect"

Exponentially sensitive.

I like antepenultimate.

Well, at least it looks like he got human thesauruses. :biggrin:

Positive eigenvalue? Nah.:biggrin:

http://www.mrtoys.com/pedalcars/pics/fire-truck-pedal-car-sml.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
cyrusabdollahi said:
[PLAIN]http://www.mrtoys.com/pedalcars/pics/fire-truck-pedal-car-sml.jpg[/QUOTE][/URL]

:confused: Been drinking?

http://www.sfphotorama.com/uploaded_images/nope_knockout-702680.jpg

How about hysteresis?

Recursion?
Uroborus?
isentropic?
limit cycle?

Last edited:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/ba/DrawingHands.jpg/716px-DrawingHands.jpg

http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/artistsfilm/images/tautology.jpg

1. What is a human dictionary?

A human dictionary is a person who has a vast knowledge of words and their meanings, and is able to provide definitions and explanations on a wide range of vocabulary. They can often be relied upon for accurate and detailed information about words and their usage.

2. How does one become a human dictionary?

Becoming a human dictionary requires a strong interest in language and a dedication to expanding one's vocabulary. Many people with this skill have a natural talent for learning and remembering words, but it can also be developed through reading, studying, and practicing using new words in everyday conversations.

3. Is it possible to have a complete knowledge of all words in a language?

No, it is not possible for a human to know every single word in a language. There are constantly new words being added, and even the most knowledgeable individuals may not know every word in a specific language. However, a human dictionary may have a much wider and more extensive vocabulary than the average person.

4. Can a human dictionary make mistakes?

Yes, human dictionaries are not infallible and can make mistakes. They may sometimes provide incorrect definitions or misspell words. However, they are usually highly knowledgeable and have a strong understanding of language, so their mistakes are rare.

5. Are there any disadvantages of relying on a human dictionary?

While a human dictionary can be a valuable resource, they may not always be available or accessible. They also may have their own biases or limited knowledge in certain areas, so it is important to use multiple sources when looking up definitions and meanings of words.