Why does mass have the force of gravity?

In summary, the force of gravity on an object is determined by the gravitational constant (G) multiplied by the masses of the two objects and divided by the square of the distance between them. The value of G was first determined empirically by Cavendish through experiments using torsion springs. The relationship between inertial mass and gravitational mass is not easily understood and is a subject of ongoing research in physics.
dhayward

Homework Statement

Where does mass get the force of gravity?

Homework Equations

F = G(m1 x m2)/r^2

F = force (N)
G = Gravitational constant (Nm^2/kg^2)
m = mass
r = distance between m1 and m2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the actual question here?

how is the gravitational constant derived?

empirically i think. In other words it is inferred from experiments/observational data and not the result of any derivation.

The holy grail in physics (and I have a completely incomplete understanding--physics is a hobby for me) is to capture all 4 fundamental forces including gravity in a superset of equations with a bare minimum of constants.

Are you asking why the inertial mass is equal to the gravitational mass?

dhayward said:
how is the gravitational constant derived?

The first who carried out experiments that led to an empirical determination of G was Cavendish. By means of torsion springs, I think.

Your question can, however, be formulated in a "deep" way:

Why should an object's inherent resistance to motion change (i.e, its inertia) be in any way related to the strength of the attractive force existing between objects (i.e, gravitation)?

This identity between inertial mass and gravitational "mass" is not at all a trivially understandable relationship.

1. What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

The force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that the larger the mass, the stronger the force of gravity.

2. Why do objects with more mass have a stronger gravitational pull?

According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the force of gravity is determined by the mass of two objects and the distance between them. Objects with more mass have a greater gravitational pull because they have more mass to attract other objects.

3. How does mass affect the strength of gravity on Earth?

The mass of the Earth is what creates the force of gravity that keeps objects on the surface. The greater the mass of the Earth, the stronger the force of gravity on its surface.

4. Why do objects with less mass fall at the same rate as objects with more mass?

Although objects with more mass have a stronger gravitational pull, they also have a greater inertia, meaning they are more resistant to changes in motion. This is why objects with different masses fall at the same rate in a vacuum.

5. How does the concept of mass and gravity relate to Einstein's Theory of General Relativity?

Einstein's theory states that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass. This means that the more massive an object is, the more it warps the fabric of spacetime, resulting in a stronger gravitational pull.