What is the Relationship Between Linear and Rotational Speed for a Screw?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with understanding the relationship between linear and rotational speed, specifically in regards to a screw with a certain diameter and pitch. The person also asks a question about the traveling distance of a nut with custom threads when rotated a certain degree on a bolt.
shurioz
Could somebody help me with this?

Let’s say I have a screw that is 0.25” dia. I want to screw this screw into the wall.
First question: If I turn this screw 2 times around its axis, how far the screw will go into the wall?
Second question: If I rotate the screw at 10 RPM what is its linear speed?
Please help me with question! I can’t figure it out.:cry:

Let’s pretend that the wall doesn’t resists to the screw at all to go in. I just basically want to know the relationship between linear and rotational speed, when linear speed is parallel to the rotation axis.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Shurioz. The questions that you're asking depend upon one factor that you didn't mention: the pitch of the screw; that is, how many threads per inch.

It’s a good question. Let’s say the pitch is 20. 20 threads per inch.

You can model the screw as "an inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder".

By using the screw example I just wanted to know if the liner speed perpendicular to the rotation axis is the same as linear speed parallel to the rotational axis.

Another question about screw threads.

Let’s say we have a nut with custom threads: 2.0” pitch diameter and pitch-10.
If I rotate this nut by 55 degrees on the bolt, what would be the traveling distance of the nut?
Please help!
:cry:

If there are 10 threads per inch then rotating the bolt 360 degrees will advance it one thread or 1/10 inch. Clear now?

2 Dick
Thanks a lot

1. What is the definition of linear speed of the screw?

The linear speed of the screw refers to the rate at which the screw rotates and moves in a linear direction, usually measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or feet per minute.

2. How is the linear speed of the screw related to its rotational speed?

The linear speed of the screw is directly proportional to its rotational speed. This means that as the rotational speed of the screw increases, its linear speed also increases.

3. What factors can affect the linear speed of the screw?

The linear speed of the screw can be affected by factors such as the diameter of the screw, the pitch of the screw, and the rotational speed of the screw.

4. How is the linear speed of the screw calculated?

The linear speed of the screw can be calculated by multiplying the rotational speed of the screw by the circumference of the screw. This can be expressed as: v = ω * 2πr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the rotational speed, and r is the radius of the screw.

5. Why is the linear speed of the screw important in certain applications?

The linear speed of the screw is important in applications where precise and consistent linear movement is required, such as in manufacturing processes or in machinery that requires accurate positioning. It is also important in determining the efficiency and performance of the screw in different applications.