Should Moderators Remain Impartial Bystanders in Online Discussions?

• Thread starter Surrealist
  • Start date
In summary, moderators are necessary to keep the PF running smoothly. They should display high levels of discretion and integrity, and be more "moral" than the rest of us.
The truth is that Mentors are made in a factory. You can tell when pervect walks by, he's still got that "new Mentor" smell.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Aww...shucks...I wanted to answer "magic," but you spoiled it too quickly. :grumpy: :biggrin:
I thought it was the case of ring pops I sent to Greg. :uhh:

You mean I have qualities? Or was it just because I survived the frozen fish gauntlet? :frown:

Tom Mattson said:
The truth is that Mentors are made in a factory. You can tell when pervect walks by, he's still got that "new Mentor" smell.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Evo said:
You mean I have qualities? Or was it just because I survived the frozen fish gauntlet? :frown:

Well, you must either be magical or survive the frozen fish gauntlet. Them's the rules.

- Warren

So, is that "new mentor" smell similar to rotten fish smell? :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
We have an audio that outlines the basic requirements for mentorship.
[Mentor requirements]

Now where did I put that cape...

EVO... GET OFF THE PHONE!

Humm... I think we need his and hers phone booths!

Tom Mattson said:

Nah, mentors aren't made in factories. I could tell you how kindr, err I mean mentors, are really made, but then I'd have to kill you.

Sorry about the smell, gosh darn sewers...

Anyway, you don't HAVE to be crazy to be a mentor, but it helps.

Moonbear said:

No, it is actually the smell of a bathroom disinfectant. Remember, the new ones have to clean the Mentor's bathrooms.

:biggrin:

Zz.

Moonbear said:

Don't be silly, the fish are frozen

Integral said:
Now where did I put that cape...

EVO... GET OFF THE PHONE!

Humm... I think we need his and hers phone booths!

And to think I used to trip over the hurdles in gym class, now I have to leap tall building in a single bound! :eek:

I like the mentors here on PF. They are sane and consistent. I sometimes miss the cranks. It was fun kicking the legs out from under their windmills.

Windmills have legs?
I feel as if I've stumbled into a Jonny Hart cartoon... :uhh:
In any event, I feel extremely glad that my very first experience on the net was ending up here. I didn't have net access at home, and ran across this site by accident from the local library. I've never looked back. (And big cheers to Brewnog for accepting my bizarre sense of humour in my first couple of posts and inviting me down to GD rather than just telling me to... you know...)

Not to be picky, but I believe it was a squash court.

Danger said:
In any event, I feel extremely glad that my very first experience on the net was ending up here.
Same thing here: this has been one of my first and favorite internet sites since I started using the internet a few years ago. This place is great, and the moderators and mentors are all just exception people—otherwise the system wouldn't work very well would it? If they were unhelpful or immature.

I agree MK, I have been a member of many forums and I think the standard of mentors here is unique.

OK let's take a fictional example, say your talking about some hot topic in politics, Palestine vs Israel, now if the moderators were Israeli, Jewish and Zionists, you'd expect them to be biased, but if they then made moderation decisions based on this you'd lose respect for them. You would hope that at the end of the day as long as your comments weren't beyond the pale, they would not get personally involved and start to throw around warnings based on this, and if they did, they would be chastised for their bias.

I think this is one of the few sites I've seen where bias is not a part of a decision. At the end of the day you are well aware that if you break the rules and there isn't sufficient reason to back up your argument, you are the one at fault, I genuinely haven't found many forums where this is the case, and that's why I rate this site very highly.

BTW I have nothing against Israelis, Jews or Zionism it's just a hypothetical example. :smile:

Last edited:
I haven't been here long, but so far the despots appear to be benevolent ;) The discussions I've read seem for the most part to be much more useful than those on other forums with similar topics.

It could be a conspiracy I guess, but being paranoid takes way to much energy and I'm a naturally lazy person.

Quatl said:
I'm a naturally lazy person.

Me too, but I prefer the term 'connisseur of inertia'. :biggrin:

Coined by Bob Barnes in his 'The Better Half' comic panel.

What I find unique here is that the dignity of the site is almost a living presence. I've actually PM'd moderators to review and possibly delete my own posts when I thought that they might be over the line.
In a way, it's similar to the Legion. I can be upstairs throwing back the brews and playing pool or whatever, but if a phone call comes in for the Cadet instructor downstairs, I go into march-step as soon as I'm in sight of the cadets and stand at attention until the instructor notices me, then say 'Excuse me, Captain. You have a call. Would you care to accept it?' The instructor could very well be one of my drinking buddies, and I've never been in the military, but the whole point is to not undermine his/her authority in front of the youngsters. By the same token, if I have a disagreement with a Moderator in PF, that will be dealt with by PM, not in public (and that hasn't happened yet despite some serious political differences of viewpoint).
As far as I'm concerned, PF should be a template for any site that one wants to establish.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Me too, but I prefer the term 'connisseur of inertia'. :biggrin:

Coined by Bob Barnes in his 'The Better Half' comic panel.
Heheh, I like that one, I think I'll keep it!

Just remember that if you use it in written form (such as here) you should acknowledge the source. It is, after all, a copyrighted cartoon quote. I think that this falls within 'fair useage', whereby you don't have to pay royalties.
By the bye, my absolute favourite put-down for idiots who harrass me came from the same comic: 'I'll never understand how you managed to cram so much stupidity into such a tiny brain.'