Finding the equation for the tangent line.

In summary, the conversation was about finding the equation for the tangent line of the function (e^x)(cos x) at x=0. The individual solved for the y-coordinate and used the derivative to find the slope, but made a mistake and got a slope of 0 instead of 1. After realizing the mistake, the correct answer was obtained using the chain rule.
cd246

Homework Statement

find the equation for the tangent line.
1. (e^x)(cos x) where x=0

Homework Equations

plugged 0 into the equation, (e^0)(cos 0) and got 1 for the y-coordinate. so I got the points(0,1). For the slope, I derived the equation into -(e^x)(sin x). then i plugged 0 in and got 0 for the slope.
I used point-slope form, y-1=0(x-0)

The Attempt at a Solution

y-1=0(x-0) or y=1.
but the answer says x-y+1=0
I believe the slope was suppose to be 1 and I got 0, what is the right way to get the slope?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt anyone will help you until you post a more complete problem statement.

Sorry, I'm not tracking what you are trying to do. Are you saying that you have the following equation:

[tex]y(x) = {e^x} cos(x)[/tex]

and you want to know what the tangent (derivative) is at x=0? Do you know how to take the derivative of that y(x) function? Also, you won't be plugging in x=0 until you have that final derivative function...

I saw my mistake, I did the derivative wrong. sorry

cd246 said:
I saw my mistake, I did the derivative wrong. sorry

No need to be sorry. So that means you're okay now?

For this problem, Yes

Yeah, you forgot the chain rule.

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point and is parallel to the curve's slope at that point.

2. How do you find the equation for the tangent line?

To find the equation for the tangent line, you need to find the slope of the curve at the point of tangency, which can be done by finding the derivative of the curve. Then, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. Can the equation for the tangent line change?

Yes, the equation for the tangent line can change as the point of tangency moves along the curve. This is because the slope of the curve at different points can vary, resulting in a different equation for the tangent line at each point.

4. What is the significance of finding the equation for the tangent line?

Finding the equation for the tangent line allows us to understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point and make predictions about the direction and rate of change of the curve at that point. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the equation of a tangent line?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the graphical approach, where the tangent line is visually drawn on a graph. Additionally, there are also more advanced methods such as using the power series expansion of a curve to find the equation of the tangent line.