Music Box Mechanisms: Cylinder Music Info

• Thread starter Wanderer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Music
In summary, the conversation is about someone's interest in mechanical mechanisms, specifically wind up music mechanisms found in jewelry boxes. They are looking for information on the cylinder music mechanism, its size, length of tune, and rate of rotation. The advice given is to search for clock and watch making techniques and unique designs.
Wanderer
Hi,Latly I have been interested in mechanical mechanisms and I'm looking for any information on the wind up music mechanisms which are found inside jewellary boxes (like the ones with the spinning ballarina inside), I would like to mainly know about the cylinder music mechanism (especially about how small you can actually get them, the length of time the tune it plays and its rate of rotation ie: to spin the ballerina) rather then the disc ones, any information would be greatly appreciated (I've come to my wits end on searching for more then a simple explination lol) Thanks :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're searching the wrong terms. A music box is very much like a wind up clock. Search for clock and watch making techniques, and unique designs. There are countless thousands of them.

What is a music box mechanism?

A music box mechanism is a mechanical device that produces music when activated. It typically consists of a cylinder or disc with pins or teeth that pluck a series of tuned metal tines or bells, creating a musical melody.

How does a music box mechanism work?

A music box mechanism works by rotating a cylinder or disc with pins or teeth that pluck the metal tines or bells. The pins or teeth are carefully arranged to create a specific melody when the cylinder or disc rotates. As the pins or teeth pluck the metal tines or bells, they vibrate and produce sound waves that we hear as music.

What is the history of music box mechanisms?

The earliest known music box mechanism was invented in the 18th century by Swiss watchmaker Antoine Favre. It became popular in Europe during the 19th century and was eventually mass-produced. In the 20th century, music box mechanisms were replaced by electronic music players, but they are still produced and enjoyed as a nostalgic and unique form of music.

How do you change the tune on a music box mechanism?

To change the tune on a music box mechanism, you would need to replace the cylinder or disc with a new one that has a different arrangement of pins or teeth. Some music box mechanisms also have interchangeable cylinders or discs that can be easily switched out to play different tunes.

Are there different types of music box mechanisms?

Yes, there are different types of music box mechanisms. The most common types are cylinder music boxes and disc music boxes. Cylinder music boxes have a cylinder with pins or teeth, while disc music boxes have a disc with pins. There are also variations in size, shape, and materials used for the casing of music box mechanisms.