Mechanics: mass on moving slope. no friction

In summary, a wedge with mass M rests on a frictionless horizontal table top and a block with mass m is placed on the wedge. The system is released from rest. The acceleration of the wedge can be calculated using the equation F=ma. The horizontal component of the acceleration of the block can be calculated using gsin(theta), and the vertical component can be found using Newton's Third Law. When an additional horizontal force F is applied, the block will remain at a constant height above the tabletop if the magnitude of the force is equal to the normal reaction force. A free body diagram can be used to visualize and label the forces involved in this problem.
sweep123
1. Homework Statement
A wedge with mass M rests on a frictionless horizontal table top. A block with mass "m" is placed on the wedge. There is no friction between the block and the wedge. The system is released from rest.

A. Calculate the acceleration of the wedge.
B. Calculate the horizontal component of the acceleration of the block.
C. Calculate the vertical component of the acceleration of the block.
D. Do your answers to part A reduce to the correct result when M is very large?
E. Now, an additional horizontal force F is being applied as shown in part (b) of the figure. What must be the magnitude of F if the block is to remain at a constant height above the tabletop?

2. Homework Equations
F=ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if wedge stayed stationary then acceleration of block would be gsin(theta). I know normal reaction must be related to the accelleration of the wedge. I should imagine that mg=M*(acceleration of wedge)+m*(acceleration of block). Does the normal reaction = mgsin(theta)-(M*acceleration of wedge)? I'm really struggling with this one. I think I will be able to manage it if i new how to calculate the acceleration of the wedge. Then I could use Newtons 3rd law to calculate acceleration of block and then continue from there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting problem. Where do these people come up with this stuff?

Anyway, I'd begin with a free body diagram, draw force arrows and label them.

In the x-direction, there is the x-component of the Normal force the wedge exerts on the block, and there is an equal an opposite reactive force. Because the surface between the two is frictionless, that force doesn't have to include the mass of the block.

Hi sweep123,

This looks like an interesting problem. What happened to the diagram?

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a mass on a moving slope with no friction?

The formula for calculating acceleration in this scenario is a = g*sin(θ), where "g" is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and "θ" is the angle of the slope.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration on a slope with no friction?

The mass of an object has no effect on its acceleration on a slope with no friction. The only factors that affect acceleration in this scenario are the angle of the slope and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can an object ever have negative acceleration on a slope with no friction?

No, an object cannot have negative acceleration on a slope with no friction. Since there is no friction, there is no force acting in the opposite direction to slow down the object's motion.

4. How does the angle of the slope affect the acceleration of a mass on a slope with no friction?

The greater the angle of the slope, the greater the acceleration of the mass. This is because the force of gravity acting on the object is being split into two components - one parallel to the slope (causing acceleration) and one perpendicular to the slope (causing no acceleration).

5. What effect does adding friction to the slope have on the acceleration of a mass?

Adding friction to the slope will decrease the acceleration of the mass. This is because the force of friction acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the mass, causing it to slow down.