Biodiversity - Which is the most diverse animal or plant?

In summary, Wolfram's "most diverse" animal or plant challenge asks which species has the most variation in appearance. My guess would be Canis domesticus, which humans all look ridiculously similar compared to other species.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Which is the most diverse animal or plant, if one classes any thing living that is not a plant an animal.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How can one organism be more diverse than another?

Which measure of diversity?

wolram said:
Which is the most diverse animal or plant, if one classes any thing living that is not a plant an animal.

Come again? Are you restricting competitors to "plants and animals", or excluding "plants and animals"? (Define plant, animal.) And do you mean morphological diversity? Genetic diversity? Behavioral diversity?

In ecology and systematics, "diversity" usually refers to a more or less vaguely motivated quantity which alleges to compare "diversity" of ecosystems or genomes in a population of breeding organisms. One of the simplest measures of "diversity" of an ecosystem was proposed by George Gaylord Simpson:
[tex]
D = 1 - \sum_{j=1}^n p_j^2, \; \rm{where} \; \sum_{j=1}^n p_j = 1 \; \rm{and} \;
0 \leq p_j \leq 1, \; {\rm for} \; 1 \leq j \leq n
[/tex]
See http://www.tiem.utk.edu/~mbeals/simpsonDI.html from M. Bealls (Institute for Environmental Modeling, University of Kentucky), which uses a different and nonstandard form of Simpson's diversity index, but has the virtue of giving some data you can play with.

Last edited by a moderator:
If i understand the question correctly, it seems that you are looking for the species with the most variation in appearance. my guess would be Canis domesticus

Andre said:
If i understand the question correctly, it seems that you are looking for the species with the most variation in appearance. my guess would be Canis domesticus

forsooth!

http://www.eminemitalia.it/images/hiphoptimeline/snoop_dogg.jpg
ny11202161305.hmedium.jpg

http://s.yottamusic.com/i/akGc.2Vs7 EDIT: you know, now that this thread made me think about it... humans all look ridiculously similar. I mean, take away haircuts, makeup, etc.. and I'd say, as far as geometric variety goes, we're quite monotonous and boring when compared to other species.

I think it's fascinating that we can tell each other apart so well, considering how freakishly similar our faces are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diatoms are a class (Diatomacea) in the Phylum Chrysophyta of the Kingdom Protista.
Another single species candidate could be Poecillia reticulata, (Peters 1859)

humans all look ridiculously similar

How does a cat recognise a person? When I used to come home after work, I would be very silent. Eventually the cat, who regretfully past away last year, would stop monitoring the Poecillia reticulata's and would stare at me, wondering who I might be. That is, until I said something, then immediate the spark of recognition and an affectionate greeting ceremony would follow.

Last edited:
Life has split two ways, plant and animal, one grows from the soil (environment) the animal lives from the other and procreates, that is the best distinction i can give.

Last edited:
So did you mean to ask "which is the most diverse animal or plant?" or "which is the more diverse, animal or plant?"

Behold the power of punctuation, among other things... :smile:

Last edited:
out of whack said:
So did you mean to ask "which is the most diverse animal or plant?" or "which is the more diverse, animal or plant?"

Behold the power of punctuation, among other things... :smile:

READ THE FIRST POST

Andre said:
Diatoms are a class (Diatomacea) in the Phylum Chrysophyta of the Kingdom Protista.
Another single species candidate could be Poecillia reticulata, (Peters 1859)

Wolfram never specified "single species", in fact his statement of the challenge is not even self-consistent.

[EDIT: :rofl: one guppy does not belong with the others!]

Andre said:
How does a cat recognise a person? When I used to come home after work, I would be very silent. Eventually the cat, who regretfully passed[/red] away last year, would stop monitoring the Poecillia reticulata's and would stare at me, wondering who I might be. That is, until I said something, then immediate the spark of recognition and an affectionate greeting ceremony would follow.

Have you read Desmond Morris's book on the behavior of the "domestic" cat?

moe darklight said:
\

EDIT: you know, now that this thread made me think about it... humans all look ridiculously similar. I mean, take away haircuts, makeup, etc.. and I'd say, as far as geometric variety goes, we're quite monotonous and boring when compared to other species.

Overweight people look quite different naked!

1. What is biodiversity?

Biodiversity refers to the variety of living organisms in a particular ecosystem, including plants, animals, and microorganisms. It also includes the genetic diversity within each species and the diversity of ecosystems.

2. Why is biodiversity important?

Biodiversity is important for maintaining the balance of ecosystems and ensuring the survival of all living organisms. It also provides humans with essential resources such as food, medicine, and clean water.

3. Which animal has the most diverse species?

The most diverse animal in terms of species is the beetle, with over 400,000 known species. Other diverse animal groups include ants, wasps, and moths.

4. Which plant has the most diverse species?

The most diverse plant in terms of species is the orchid, with over 25,000 known species. Other diverse plant groups include ferns, grasses, and cacti.

5. How is biodiversity measured?

Biodiversity can be measured in various ways, including species richness (the number of species in a given area), species evenness (the relative abundance of different species), and genetic diversity (the variation within a particular species). Biodiversity can also be measured at different levels, such as local, regional, and global scales.