Is Nothingness the Cause of the Big Bang?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
In summary, the idea that the big bang originated from a state of complete nothingness is based on the theory that in a pre or early universe environment, energy could be converted to matter at the quantum level. This concept becomes even more complex when considering the possibility that the laws of physics in this environment could be different from those in our current universe. Additionally, it is interesting to note that even in the most distant regions of our expanding universe, there is still some form of matter present. The exact origin of the big bang remains an open question.
Holocene
I know this isn't really a scientific statement, but I have read that one reason the big-bang may have originated from a state of complete nothingness, is because nothingness is terribly "unstable".

Any grain of possible truth to this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Holocene said:
I know this isn't really a scientific statement, but I have read that one reason the big-bang may have originated from a state of complete nothingness, is because nothingness is terribly "unstable".

Any grain of possible truth to this?

Yes, well sort of. It depends on your definition of nothing. I think the theory you are talking about refers to nothingness as no physical matter, however refers to the theoretical ability for energy to be converted to matter in an pre or early universe environment on the quantum and possibly sub quantum level.

Everything tend to get rather funky when you get that small, things that are there aren't really there, there's just a chance they will be there at a specific point in time. Its all a bit mid boggling really, quantum mech is random enough, let alone in a pre-universe environment where a lot of people theorize that the current laws of physics would be different to now!

It is interesting that in our ever expanding universe, we can find no place that contains "nothingness". Even in the most distant intergalactic regions there is still something like one hydrogen atom per cubic meter and a constant barrage of photons (radiation) passing through. I'm not sure about the WMAP cold spot, though.

Last edited:
The origin of the big bang, in contrast to what happened after, is very much an open question. Starting from nothing? Cyclic universe? Brane collision?

1. What is "nothingness" and why is it considered unstable?

"Nothingness" refers to the absence of anything, including matter, energy, and space. It is considered unstable because it is a concept that is difficult to define and does not align with the laws of physics, which state that something cannot come from nothing.

2. How does "nothingness" relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe was once in a state of extreme density and heat, before expanding and cooling over time. This state of extreme density and heat can be thought of as a form of "nothingness" before the universe began to exist. However, the concept of "nothingness" is still debated among scientists and philosophers.

3. Can "nothingness" exist in the universe?

It is currently unknown if "nothingness" can exist in the universe. Some theories suggest that there may be regions of space with extremely low levels of matter and energy, but it is still considered to be something rather than true "nothingness." Additionally, quantum mechanics suggests that there is constant fluctuation in the vacuum of space, making it difficult to define true "nothingness."

4. How does the concept of "nothingness" impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of "nothingness" challenges our current understanding of the universe and forces us to question the fundamental laws of physics. It also raises philosophical questions about the origins of the universe and the possibility of multiple universes.

5. Are there any practical implications of the concept of "nothingness" being unstable?

The concept of "nothingness" being unstable does not have direct practical implications, as it is still a theoretical concept. However, it does impact our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics, which could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in the future.