What Makes a Book the Best? A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter john16O
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: Just the best of the most sold. Could be the best because its the most available.And I'm not sure I'd be using the Little Prince as a reference. It was written during a doped up period of Exupery's life. The story is fun, but it just doesn't have any real meaning.Sherlock Holmes would be my pick.In summary, the conversation discussed various opinions on the best books ever published. The participants mentioned different genres including physics books, children's books, science fiction, fantasy, and non-fiction. Some notable titles mentioned were the James Howe books (including Bunnicula), Dr. Seuss books, Penrose's "Road to Reality," "Slaughterhouse 5
john16O
In your opinion what are the best books ever published?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics books!

That's got to be the James Howe books - Stories based on a vampire bunny

Bunnicula

The celery stalks at midnight

Howliday Inn

and all the rest

The best reading a parent and child can do together.

For childrens books I thin Dr Seuss is fantastic. My favourite book is Penrose's Road to Reality.

Kurdt said:
For childrens books I thin Dr Seuss is fantastic. My favourite book is Penrose's Road to Reality.
I love Dr Seuss, but Howe's books are short novels that take days to read and keeps your attention. He has that ability to make it interesting for both child and adult. Read some, I guarantee you'll love them. :approve:

Other than that I love science fiction short stories by Bradbury, Anderson, Heinlein, Asimov, etc...

Fantasy by Eddings, Jordan, Feist, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman starting wih the Dragons of Autumn.

Last edited:
Kurdt Vonnegut?

waht said:
Kurdt Vonnegut?
Heh. :smile:

Slaughterhouse 5

Evo said:
I love Dr Seuss, but Howe's books are short novels that take days to read and keeps your attention. He has that ability to make it interesting for both child and adult. Read some, I guarantee you'll love them. :approve:

Well I'll certainly give them a look then. :smile:

Kurdt said:
Well I'll certainly give them a look then. :smile:
Take them as fun books, afterall, the main character is a vampire bunny rabbit that sucks the juices out of vegetables. They are kind of murder-mystery books.

Evo said:
Slaughterhouse 5

That's a classic,

so it goes. :rolleyes:

Sherlock holmes

Sherlock holmes
Second that. Also the Lord of the Rings and The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery.
All beautiful reads.
Btw, the Bible is the best selling book of all time, also the first to come out printed.

"How to profit from the coming boom in nuclear technology" by Milt Downes.

"The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years" by Chinghiz Aitmatov.
I know it sounds like something Borat would recommend but I loved it and found it very unique. Don't read the synopsis, it will ruin the experience.

That book about that bear of very little brain? I'd have to ask Christopher Robin about it. Piglet has no idea too.

arunbg said:
Btw, the Bible is the best selling book of all time, also the first to come out printed.
That's the King James version. Lotsa different bibles.

A Brief History of Time
Flatland
Flaterland
Beyond the Shadow (I don't think that name is accurate, but it studies the fourth dimension. I know is around here somewhere.)

Evo said:
Take them as fun books, afterall, the main character is a vampire bunny rabbit that sucks the juices out of vegetables. They are kind of murder-mystery books.

:rofl: I like it already.

Gotta add The Demon-Haunted World - Science as a Candle in the Dark to the list

mheslep said:
That's the King James version. Lotsa different bibles.
Actually, he was referring to the Gutenberg Bible, a version of the Latin Vulgate translation printed in around 1455. The King James translation was not published until 1611, some 150 years later.

The Gutenberg Bible is not the first printed book, woodblock printing existed in China much earlier. In the section entitled "Gutenberg's printed books", this article suggests that the Bible may not have been Gutenberg's first printed book. In the section entitled "Hypotheses about East Asian origins", it suggests that movable type predated Gutenberg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Gutenberg"

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
Actually, he was referring to the Gutenberg Bible, a version of the Latin Vulgate translation printed in around 1455. The King James translation was not published until 1611, some 150 years later.

The Gutenberg Bible is not the first printed book, woodblock printing existed in China much earlier. In the section entitled "Gutenberg's printed books", this article suggests that the Bible may not have been Gutenberg's first printed book. In the section entitled "Hypotheses about East Asian origins", it suggests that movable type predated Gutenberg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Gutenberg"
Well the Gutenberg was a Latin translation from the Greek/Aramiac, not sure that qualifies as best selling. Its the poetry of the King James english that made it the best seller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiction: Ringworld, Snow Crash, Good Omens, LOTR, Calvin+Hobbes, Peanuts

Science: Selfish Gene, Character of physical law, Art of Computer Programming.

I'll second LotR and Calvin and Hobbes for sure! :)

And Bunnicula...you haven't LIVED until you've read those (there has to be some irony in that...)...hehe if my 19-year-old self can enjoy them, so can anyone else. :)

arunbg said:
Second that. Also the Lord of the Rings and The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery.
All beautiful reads.

The next best selling book of all time would be is Quotations from Chairman Mao Zedong, so I do not know how much relevance that has. :uhh:

Cosmos, Pale Blue Dot, The Demon-Haunted World (Sagan)
Selfish Gene (Dawkins)
The Coming Plague, Betrayal of Trust (Garrett)

Well of course the best selling isn't necessarily the best.

What makes a book considered as one of the best ever published?

There are several factors that contribute to a book being considered as one of the best ever published. These include its impact and influence on readers, its critical acclaim and awards, its longevity and continued relevance, and its contribution to literature and society.

Who decides which books are the best ever published?

The decision of which books are considered as the best ever published is subjective and varies from person to person. However, it is often determined by literary critics, scholars, and readers through various forms of recognition such as awards, bestseller lists, and critical acclaim.

What are some examples of books that are often considered as the best ever published?

Some examples of books that are frequently included in lists of the best ever published are "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "1984" by George Orwell, "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger.

Do books from different genres and time periods have equal chances of being considered as the best ever published?

While there are certainly timeless classics across various genres and time periods, it is important to note that different books may appeal to different readers and critics. Therefore, it is difficult to determine whether books from different genres and time periods have equal chances of being considered as the best ever published.

Can a book be considered as one of the best ever published even if it did not receive critical acclaim or commercial success?

Yes, a book can still be considered as one of the best ever published even if it did not receive critical acclaim or commercial success. Some books may have a smaller but dedicated following, and their impact and influence on readers can still make them stand out as one of the best books ever published.