Solving Inequalities: 4x² + 2x ≤ 3x + 2

• Thread starter pinkyjoshi65
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequalities
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the inequality 4x<2x+1 and 2x+1\leq 3x+2 separately and expressing the solution sets as intervals. The solution sets for the two parts are x<0.5 and x\geq-1 respectively. To satisfy both inequalities, the solution sets would need to be combined and written as (-\infty,-1] U [0.5,\infty).
pinkyjoshi65
Hey..This is a question I am having difficulty in solving.
4x[tex]\angle[/tex]2x+1[tex]\leq[/tex]3x+2

First I removed the "1"from the centre. Then I tried eliminating the X's from both sides, but that did not work. Could someone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve [itex]4x<2x+1[/itex] and [itex]2x+1\leq 3x+2[/itex] separately. I would express both solutions sets as intervals. Then if both inequalities must be satisfied, what would you have to do with the two solution sets you found?

so when i solve the 1st part i get x is less than 0.5. And when i solve the 2nd part, i got X is greater than/ equal to -1
so the solution set for the 2nd part is (-infi, -1}. I'm not sure about the solution set of the 1st part..

pinkyjoshi65 said:
so when i solve the 1st part i get x is less than 0.5. And when i solve the 2nd part, i got X is greater than/ equal to -1

Right.

so the solution set for the 2nd part is (-infi, -1}.

Wrong. If [itex]x\geq-1[/itex] then the solution set is [itex][-1,\infty)[/itex].

I'm not sure about the solution set of the 1st part..

But you practically have it. You already said that [itex]x<0.5[/itex]. How do you write down the interval containing all the numbers that are less than 0.5?

1. What is the first step in solving this inequality?

The first step in solving this inequality is to rearrange the terms so that all the numbers are on one side and all the variables are on the other side.

2. How do you determine which direction the inequality sign should face?

The direction of the inequality sign depends on the operation being performed on the variable. If the variable is being multiplied or divided by a negative number, the sign should be flipped. If the variable is being added or subtracted by a negative number, the sign does not change.

3. Can you solve this inequality by graphing?

Yes, this inequality can be solved by graphing. You would first graph the equation 4x² + 2x = 3x + 2, then shade the side of the graph that satisfies the inequality (in this case, the left side).

4. How do you check if your solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in the value you found for x into the original inequality. If the statement is true, then your solution is correct. If it is false, then you may have made a mistake in your calculations.

5. Can you solve this inequality algebraically?

Yes, this inequality can be solved algebraically by isolating the variable on one side of the inequality and simplifying the other side. Then, you can use properties of inequalities to further simplify and find the range of values that satisfy the inequality.