Normalizing Hydrogen wavefunction

So system is left in state: \psi(r,0) = 4\sqrt{3}AR_{21}*Y^{1}_{1}Now i'ts easy to find Psi(r,t) , just multiply Psi(r,0) by Exp(-i*E2*t/(hbar)).E2 is because energy is determined by principal quantum number , which is 2 in this case. (in Dirac notation state is written as |nlm> , so our state is |211>) .In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of normalizing a given wave function of a hydrogen atom at time t=0 and finding the wave function at time t=0 after measuring the angular momentum operator Lz
natugnaro

Homework Statement

At time t=0 hydrogen atom is in state

[tex]\psi(r,0)=\frac{4}{(2a)^{3/2}}[e^{-r/a}+iA\frac{r}{a}e^{-r/2a}(-iY^{1}_{1}+Y^{-1}_{1}+\sqrt{7}Y^{0}_{1})][/tex]

a) Is it possible to normalize wave function ?
b) Find [tex]\psi(r,t)[/tex] if at time t=0 measuring [tex]L_{z}[/tex] we find [tex]\hbar[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
Using eigenstates of hydrogen I can write[tex]\psi(r,0)[/tex] as
[tex] \psi(r,0) = \frac{4\sqrt{\pi}}{2^{^3/2}}\varphi_{100} + 4\sqrt{3}A\varphi_{211}-4\sqrt{21}Ai\varphi_{210}-4\sqrt{3}Ai\varphi_{21-1}[/tex]

Normalization condition [tex]\sum|c_{n}|=1[/tex] gives me [tex]A^{2}=\frac{1-2\pi}{432}[/tex] or [tex]A=\sqrt{\frac{2\pi-1}{432}}i[/tex] , but this does not satisfy normalization condition since I assumed that A is real.
I could assume that A is complex, but then I would get two unknowns (A=x+iy).
So I would say that it is not possible to normalize wave function.
If my answer is correct can someone explain this to me on practical example, do I need more information for normalizing ? where do I get it ? by measurment ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your numbers, but you must have made a mistake somewhere.
Your coefficient for \phi_110 has to be less than 1.

The problem statement is an exact copy. Multiplying eigenstates by my coefficients I can get starting state.
But if the first term in parenthesis is [tex]\frac{e^{-r/a}}{\sqrt{4\pi}}[/tex] instead of [tex]e^{-r/a}[/tex] wave function can be normalized, [tex]A=\frac{1}{\sqrt{864}}[/tex]
Maybe it is just a typo error.

Hi liorda , here is my solution:
Correcting some +/- signs and assuming that the first term in parenthesis is as I stated.
First multiply eigenstates of hydrogen by this constants:
[tex]\varphi_{100}*(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})[/tex]
[tex]\varphi_{211}*(4\sqrt{3}A)[/tex]
[tex]\varphi_{21-1}*(4\sqrt{3}Ai)[/tex]
[tex]\varphi_{210}*(4\sqrt{21}Ai)[/tex]

now we can write starting wave function as linear combination of hydrogen eigenstates:

[tex] \psi(r,0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\varphi_{100} + 4\sqrt{3}A\varphi_{211}+4\sqrt{21}Ai\varphi_{210}+4\sqrt{3}Ai\varphi_{21-1}[/tex]

Normalization:
[tex]\left|\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right|^{2}+\left|4\sqrt{3}A\right|^{2}+\left|4\sqrt{21}Ai\right|^{2}+\left|4\sqrt{3}Ai\right|^{2}=1[/tex]
gives A=1/sqrt(864)

b)
You can write hydrogen eigenstates as radial part multiplied by spherical harmonics:
[tex]\varphi_{nlm}=R_{nl}(r)*Y^{m}_{l}(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

so using this we can write Psi(r,0) as:

[tex] \psi(r,0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}R_{10}*Y^{0}_{0} + 4\sqrt{3}AR_{21}*Y^{1}_{1}+4\sqrt{21}AiR_{21}*Y^{0}_{1}+4\sqrt{3}AiR_{21}*Y^{-1}_{1}[/tex]

In spherical harmonics [tex]Y^{m}_{l}(\theta,\phi)[/tex] m is integer value of [tex]\hbar[/tex] ([tex]m=-1*\hbar, 0*\hbar, 1*\hbar[/tex]) you can obitain by measurment of Lz.
By measuring Lz system is left in eigenstate of operator Lz.
Since measurment gives [tex]L_{z}=\hbar[/tex] , system is left in state:
[tex] \psi(r,0) = 4\sqrt{3}AR_{21}*Y^{1}_{1}[/tex]
Now i'ts easy to find Psi(r,t) , just multiply Psi(r,0) by Exp(-i*E2*t/(hbar)).
E2 is because energy is determined by principal quantum number , which is 2 in this case.
(in Dirac notation state is written as |nlm> , so our state is |211>) .
Again this is my own solution, I don't have the "official" solution.

natugnaro said:
In spherical harmonics [tex]Y^{m}_{l}(\theta,\phi)[/tex] m is integer value of [tex]\hbar[/tex] ([tex]m=-1*\hbar, 0*\hbar, 1*\hbar[/tex]) you can obitain by measurment of Lz.

correction:
In spherical harmonics [tex]Y^{m}_{l}(\theta,\phi)[/tex] m=-l,...,0,...,+l.
Since l=1 => m=-1,0,1 , possible values for measurment of Lz are Lz=-hbar,0,+hbar

1. What is normalizing a hydrogen wavefunction?

Normalizing a hydrogen wavefunction means adjusting its amplitude so that the probability of finding the electron at any point in space is equal to one. This ensures that the wavefunction is a valid representation of the electron's behavior.

2. Why is it important to normalize a hydrogen wavefunction?

Normalizing a hydrogen wavefunction is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the probability of finding the electron at any point in space. It also ensures that the wavefunction satisfies the requirements of quantum mechanics and is physically meaningful.

3. How is a hydrogen wavefunction normalized?

A hydrogen wavefunction is normalized by dividing it by the square root of the integral of its absolute square over all space. This process is also known as the normalization constant.

4. What is the significance of the normalization constant in a hydrogen wavefunction?

The normalization constant in a hydrogen wavefunction represents the amplitude of the wavefunction and determines the overall shape and size of the probability distribution. It is a crucial factor in accurately describing the electron's behavior in the hydrogen atom.

5. Can a hydrogen wavefunction be normalized to a value other than one?

No, a hydrogen wavefunction must be normalized to a value of one in order to satisfy the requirements of quantum mechanics and accurately describe the electron's behavior. Normalizing to any other value would result in an incorrect probability distribution and violate the principles of quantum mechanics.