Malus Law Graph Question Homework: Urgent Help Needed!

In summary, the conversation is about a lab report that is due tomorrow. The theory states that the graph of relative irradiance versus cos^{2}θ should be linear, but the lab script has warned that the plot may deviate from this expected shape. The speaker is struggling with a curved graph and is unsure of how to interpret it in their conclusion. They are asking for help in understanding the reason for the curve and what to include in their write-up.
Mattofix

Homework Statement

ok, so i am writing my lab report which is due in tomorrow and the theory says that the graph of relative irradiance versus cos[tex]^{2}[/tex]θ should be linear, the lab script has told me that i should expect the plot to deviated from the expected linear shape, so i have this curved graph infront of me and i don't know what to say about it- i can't say that yes it is linear when a best fit line does not lye within the error bars - does anyone know what is the reason for the curve and what shall i say in the conclusion and interpretion of the write up?

Physics news on Phys.org
please help me!

1. What is Malus Law and how is it related to the graph question?

Malus Law is a scientific principle that describes the behavior of polarized light as it passes through a polarizing filter. In this graph question, Malus Law is used to analyze the intensity of light passing through two polarizing filters at different angles.

2. How do I interpret the graph in the Malus Law homework question?

The graph in the Malus Law homework question shows the relationship between the intensity of light passing through two polarizing filters at different angles. The x-axis represents the angle of the second filter, while the y-axis represents the intensity of light. The slope of the line on the graph represents the factor of proportionality in Malus Law.

3. What is the purpose of the Malus Law graph question in the homework?

The purpose of the Malus Law graph question is to test your understanding of the principles of Malus Law and how it applies to the behavior of polarized light. It also helps to develop your graph interpretation skills and mathematical reasoning.

4. How do I calculate the intensity of light using Malus Law?

To calculate the intensity of light passing through two polarizing filters at different angles, you can use the equation I = I0cos2(θ), where I is the intensity of light after passing through the filters, I0 is the initial intensity, and θ is the angle of the second filter.

5. What should I do if I need urgent help with the Malus Law graph question homework?

If you need urgent help with the Malus Law graph question homework, you can reach out to your teacher or classmates for assistance. You can also seek help from online resources or tutoring services. It is important to ask for help as soon as possible to avoid falling behind on your assignments.