Find Resistance Between A and B - 5.0Ω, 98.0Ω, 16.0Ω

• Thread starter n77ler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the resistors R1 = 5.0 Ω, R2 = 98.0 Ω, and R3 = 16.0 Ω are connected in a complex circuit. The resistance between points A and B is found by first calculating the equivalent resistance of the series and parallel resistors, which is then used to find the total current flow in the circuit. This current is divided among the different branches of the circuit, with the total current at each junction being equal to zero. The total voltage across A and B is used to solve for the currents in each branch, ultimately leading to the final solution of 0.561A for I1.
n77ler

Homework Statement

A number of resistors of values R1 = 5.0 Ω, R2 = 98.0 Ω, and R3 = 16.0 Ω are connected as shown in the figure. What is the resistance between points A and B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so the 4 R_1's and R_3 are in series on the end which gives a resistance of 36.0 ohm. This resistance is in parallel with R_2 so it's 1/ (1/first resistance + 1/R2 ) =26.3ohm. The 4 R1's and R2 are in series so its R1(4)+R2 =118. Now this resistance is in parallel with the first R2 so its 1/ (1/118 +1/98)= 53.5ohm + the 2 R1's at the start = 63.5

So 63.5 ohm + 26.3 ohm = 89.8 ohm but this isn't right. Can someone help me out please.

Attachments

• A5Problem27.gif
    A5Problem27.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
n77ler said:
Ok so the 4 R_1's and R_3 are in series on the end which gives a resistance of 36.0 ohm. This resistance is in parallel with R_2 so it's 1/ (1/first resistance + 1/R2 ) =26.3ohm. The 4 R1's and R2 are in series so its R1(4)+R2 =118.
Redo that last step. The 4 R1s are in series with the effective resistance calculated in the previous step, not with R2 alone.

so R1(4) +R2 + 26.3 ohm= 144.3 ohm, so then do I just follow the steps I have already used?

n77ler said:
so R1(4) +R2 + 26.3 ohm= 144.3 ohm, so then do I just follow the steps I have already used?
No, you're still making an error. As you work from right to left, you replace resistors with their equivalent resistance.

(1) You replaced 4R1 + R3 with their equivalent = 36 ohms
(2) Now R2 & 36 ohms are in parallel, replace them with their equivalent = 26.3 ohms
(3) Now you have 4R1 in series with 26.3 ohms (not R2; R2 is gone!)
... and so on

Oh ok ,I understand it good now, thank- you very much!
26.3ohm+4R1= 46.3
Parallel with R2 so 1/ (1/98+1/46.3)= 31.44ohm + 2R1 on the very left = 41.4 ohm :)

You got it. :wink:

Ok so there's another part of the question I'm having trouble with I worked through it but its the first time I've seen anything like it.

A-C was I1, C-D was I3 D-B was I1

I1-I3=0
I3-I1=0
I1-I3=I3-I1
2 I1-2 I3=0
I3=I1
E-I3R-I1R=0
E=I1R-I1R=0
E-2I1R=0
E= (2I1R)/(2R) I1=E/2R= 110.0V/2(98.0ohm) = 0.561A

Attachments

• A5Problem27.gif
    A5Problem27.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 394
n77ler said:
Ok so there's another part of the question I'm having trouble with I worked through it but its the first time I've seen anything like it.

A-C was I1, C-D was I3 D-B was I1

I1-I3=0
At junction C (or any other junction) it's the total current flow that must add to zero. You counted the current from the A-C (I1) and D-C (I3), but what about the branch going to the right out of C?

What are you given for this part of the problem? The total voltage across A-B? If so, do the opposite of what you did before. This time work backwards from left to right, using the results of your previous work to find the various currents.

So are my working relevant at all? Or do I need to scrap them completely and start over?

Start over. Your first equation, I1-I3=0, is incorrect.

kk I've got work so I can't solve now, Ill be back later, you may not be here but thankyou very much for the help today!

So will my first equation have to consist of I1,I2,I3,I4,I5,I6 because of the complexity of the circuit?

1. What is the total resistance between A and B?

The total resistance between A and B is 119.0Ω, which is the sum of 5.0Ω, 98.0Ω, and 16.0Ω.

2. How do you find the resistance between A and B?

To find the resistance between A and B, you simply add up all the individual resistances between the two points.

3. Can you calculate the resistance using Ohm's Law?

Yes, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance between A and B if you know the voltage and current between the two points.

4. Is there a formula for finding the resistance between two points?

There is no specific formula for finding the resistance between two points, but you can use Ohm's Law or the series or parallel resistance formulas depending on the circuit configuration.

5. What are the units of resistance between A and B?

The units of resistance between A and B are ohms (Ω), which is the standard unit of measurement for resistance.