Griffiths dipole moment

I*areaIn summary, the conversation is discussing the definition of magnetic dipole moment as given by Griffiths in his E&M book. The question arises about its compatibility with calculating the magnetic dipole moment of a uniformly charged spinning solid sphere. It is also mentioned that Griffiths derived the formula only using line currents, not surface or volume currents, which may cause confusion in solving the problem. Ultimately, it is suggested to use the expression for volume charge density and integrate it to calculate the magnetic dipole moment for a spinning solid sphere.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Griffiths dipole moment

Homework Statement

On page 244 of Griffiths E and M book, Griffiths defines the magnetic dipole moment as
[tex]\vec{m} = I \int d\vec{a} [/tex]. Then in problem 5.58, he asks us to calculate the dipole moment of a uniformly charged spinning solid sphere. How is that compatible with the definition he gave?
It seems like Griffiths derived the formula for the magnetic dipole moment only using line currents not surface or volume currents and then asks us to find the magnetic dipole moments of volume and surface currents. I don't understand how to do that!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't G give the integral of rXj form for the mag moment?

What do you mean? All I see is [tex]
\vec{m} = I \int d\vec{a}
[/tex]

which is an integral but it does not work for volume or surface charges? So, I think that the answer is no he does not which is very annoying.

Griffiths has given the wxpression for the volume charge density J= rho*v

Integrate this to have I

Then calculate m

1. What is the Griffiths dipole moment?

The Griffiths dipole moment, also known as the induced dipole moment, is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges in a molecule that is induced by an external electric field.

2. How is the Griffiths dipole moment calculated?

The Griffiths dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the external electric field by the distance between the positive and negative charges in the molecule.

3. What is the significance of the Griffiths dipole moment?

The Griffiths dipole moment is important because it helps us understand the behavior of molecules in an external electric field. It also plays a role in various physical and chemical processes, such as the interaction between molecules and light.

4. How does the Griffiths dipole moment differ from the permanent dipole moment?

The Griffiths dipole moment is a temporary dipole moment that is induced by an external electric field, whereas the permanent dipole moment is a permanent separation of charges within a molecule due to differences in electronegativity.

5. Can the Griffiths dipole moment be changed?

Yes, the Griffiths dipole moment can be changed by altering the magnitude or direction of the external electric field, or by changing the distance between the positive and negative charges in the molecule.