Free Energy of Formation [SOLVED]

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving calculating the equilibrium constant for a reaction using the standard molar free energy of formation for NH3(g) at 298K. The correct answer is 1.71E-6, and the conversation includes a discussion of the attempted solution and a mistake in pressing the anti-log button on a calculator.
fileen
[SOLVED] free energy of formation

Homework Statement

Consider the reaction
2NH3(g) --> N2(g) + 3H2(g)
If the standard molar free energy of formation of NH3(g) at 298 K is –16.45 kJ·mol–1, calculate the equilibrium constant for this reaction at 298 K.
The correct answer is 1.71E-6

Homework Equations

DG= - RTlnK

The Attempt at a Solution

so, if the equation is for two moles NH3(g) then one would multiply the given DG (-16.45) by 2. Also, I converted from KJ to J giving me -32900. The equation given is for the reverse process of formation, so, do I reverse the sign of DG? I tried it both ways and got the wrong answer. In fact, I get huge numbers compared to the correct answer.
I used 8.3145 for R and 298 for T.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

Seems your right on track. Not sure what happened to your calculation if you tried reversing the free energy.

dG= 2*-16450 j/mol
= 32900 j/mol(reversed)

32900 j/mol = -8.314*298K * ln K
K=1.71e^-6

haha I was pressing the anti log on my calculator by accident instead of e^x. Thank you for your help. You know youve been studying to long when...

1. What is free energy of formation?

Free energy of formation (ΔGf) is a thermodynamic measure of the energy released or absorbed when one mole of a compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states.

2. How is free energy of formation calculated?

The free energy of formation can be calculated using the equation: ΔGf = ΣnΔGfo(products) - ΣmΔGfo(reactants), where n and m represent the number of moles of products and reactants, respectively, and ΔGfo is the standard free energy of formation of the compound.

3. What is the significance of free energy of formation in chemistry?

The free energy of formation is an important parameter in chemistry as it helps determine the stability of a compound. A negative ΔGf indicates that the compound is stable and will likely form, while a positive ΔGf suggests that the compound is unstable and will not form under standard conditions.

4. How does temperature affect free energy of formation?

Temperature has a significant impact on free energy of formation. As temperature increases, the free energy of formation becomes more negative for exothermic reactions and more positive for endothermic reactions. This is because the change in entropy (ΔS) becomes more significant at higher temperatures, affecting the overall value of ΔGf.

5. Can free energy of formation be used to predict the spontaneity of a reaction?

Yes, the free energy of formation can be used to predict the spontaneity of a reaction. A negative ΔGf indicates that the reaction is spontaneous under standard conditions, while a positive ΔGf suggests that the reaction is non-spontaneous. However, other factors such as concentration and temperature must also be taken into account to fully determine the spontaneity of a reaction.