Light hovercraft powered by electric ducted fans

In summary, Artemis says that a hovercraft needs more than just thrust to lift off the ground. He suggests watching the Mythbusters episode for inspiration.
artemis12
I'm trying to make a light hovercraft powered by electric ducted fans that will have enough thrust to lift me like 10 feet off the ground. the only problem is I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I"M DOING. can anyone help me?

i weigh 134 pounds, and the craft will weigh around 50-80. that puts the weight without the batteries and fans at 184-214 pounds. i know i need more thrust than what the object weighs to get it to float higher, but the fans will weigh a lot also, won't they? so I'm guessing i need more than 250 pounds of thrust. Anyone know how much thrust, voltage, amps, and horsepower i need to float a 214+ pound object 10 feet off the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Artemis.
You're not going to get a hovercraft 10' off of the ground no matter what you do. Huge commercial vehicles with turbine engines don't lift that far. The whole point of a hovercraft is to just skim the surface.

Hovercrafts only work because they are so close to the ground.
When you get farther away you switch from a hovercraft to a helicopter -> which requires tremendously more airflow and therefore more power.

oh. ok

is 45lbs too heawy for the deck of my HC?

has anyone ever made a one engine hovercraft here!?

motomax99 said:
is 45lbs too heawy for the deck of my HC?
We have nowhere near enough information to answer that question - we know nothing about your hovercraft!

sorry my dad told me that too, i have a one engine split thrust hc with a yamaha 440 snowmobile and i way about 130lbs

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Artemis.
You're not going to get a hovercraft 10' off of the ground no matter what you do. Huge commercial vehicles with turbine engines don't lift that far. The whole point of a hovercraft is to just skim the surface.

thats not exactly true you should check these out: http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=hoverwing&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iv#

Last edited by a moderator:

Very cool hybrid craft, but what gets that craft a few feet off the ground isn't the hovercraft mode, it's the ground-effect airplane mode. Danger is absolutely correct: a standard hovercraft is limited to mere inches of altitude, inherrent in the design.

Btw, moving this to the aerospace forum.

mythbusters made hovercrafts from everyday objects, maybe watch that episode

1. How does a light hovercraft powered by electric ducted fans work?

A light hovercraft powered by electric ducted fans works by using a series of electric motors and ducted fans to create a cushion of air under the vehicle. This air cushion allows the hovercraft to move smoothly over a variety of surfaces, including land, water, and ice.

2. What are the advantages of using electric ducted fans for a light hovercraft?

Using electric ducted fans for a light hovercraft has several advantages. They are quieter, more energy efficient, and have a lower environmental impact compared to traditional combustion engines. They also provide more precise control and are easier to maintain.

3. How does the weight of the hovercraft affect its performance?

The weight of the hovercraft can greatly affect its performance. A lighter hovercraft will require less power to lift and move, resulting in faster speeds and better maneuverability. However, a heavier hovercraft may be more stable and able to carry heavier loads.

4. What materials are typically used to construct a light hovercraft?

Light hovercrafts are typically constructed using lightweight materials such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, and aluminum. These materials are strong and durable, while also being lightweight to improve the hovercraft's performance.

5. Are there any safety concerns when operating a light hovercraft powered by electric ducted fans?

As with any type of vehicle, there are potential safety concerns when operating a light hovercraft powered by electric ducted fans. It is important to follow proper safety protocols, such as wearing a life jacket and operating in a safe and designated area. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections of the hovercraft should be conducted to ensure safe operation.