Understanding PV Diagrams - Work

In summary, a PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume of a gas, commonly used in thermodynamics. Work on a PV diagram is calculated by finding the area under the curve, with the equation W = ∫PdV. This area represents the work done by the gas during a process, which can be positive or negative. The direction of work is determined by the sign of the area. PV diagrams are closely related to the first law of thermodynamics, as the area enclosed by the process curve represents the change in internal energy of the system.
tizzful

Homework Statement

Calculate the work done by the gas during process 1-> 3-> 6.
Express your answer in terms of Po and Vo.

Homework Equations

W=integral(pv) from V1-V2
W=PVln(V2/V1)

The Attempt at a Solution

3Po*V*ln(3Vo/Vo)

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, it keeps telling me I'm off by a multiplicative factor.. Should I be using W=nRT ln(V2/V1) ?
ht tp://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/tizzful/151890.jpg (take out the space)

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I solved it

I would first clarify the context of the problem. PV diagrams are typically used to represent the relationship between pressure (P) and volume (V) for a gas undergoing a thermodynamic process. Without knowing the specific details of the process 1->3->6, it is difficult to provide an accurate solution.

In general, the work done by a gas during a thermodynamic process can be calculated by integrating the product of pressure and volume over the entire process. In this case, you would need to know the pressure and volume at each point (1, 3, and 6) in order to accurately calculate the work done.

Additionally, the equation W=PVln(V2/V1) is only valid for an isothermal process (constant temperature). If the process is not isothermal, then you would need to use the more general equation W=nRT ln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

In conclusion, without more information about the specific process and the values of pressure and volume at each point, it is not possible to accurately calculate the work done by the gas. It is important to always clarify the context and assumptions of a problem before attempting to solve it.

1. What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure (P) and volume (V) of a gas. It is often used in thermodynamics to analyze the work and energy involved in a process.

2. How is work calculated on a PV diagram?

Work is calculated on a PV diagram by finding the area under the curve of the process. The equation for work is W = ∫PdV, where ∫ represents the integration symbol and PdV is the pressure multiplied by the change in volume.

3. What does the area under the curve represent on a PV diagram?

The area under the curve on a PV diagram represents the work done by the gas during a process. This can be positive, indicating work being done on the gas, or negative, indicating work done by the gas.

4. How is the direction of work determined on a PV diagram?

The direction of work on a PV diagram is determined by the sign of the area under the curve. If the area is positive, work is being done on the gas and if it is negative, work is being done by the gas.

5. What is the relationship between PV diagrams and the first law of thermodynamics?

PV diagrams and the first law of thermodynamics are closely related. The first law states that the change in internal energy (ΔU) of a system is equal to the heat (Q) added to the system minus the work (W) done by the system. This can be represented on a PV diagram by the area enclosed by the process curve, as this area represents the change in internal energy of the system.