Related Rates Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity of a rocket at a specific moment, given its elevation angle and the rate of change of that angle. The solution involves using the tangent function and the Pythagorean theorem to find the rate of change of the rocket's altitude, and then converting that to the velocity using trigonometric identities.
cmajor47

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched vertically and is tracked by a radar station located on the ground 5 mi from the launch pad. Suppose that the elevation angle θ of the line of sight to the rocket is increasing at 3° per second when θ=60°. What is the velocity of the rocket at this instant?

Homework Equations

c2=x2+y2
tanθ=y/x

The Attempt at a Solution

52=c2-y2
25=c2-y2
0=2c(dc/dt)-2y(dy/dt)
0=c(dc/dt) - y(dy/dt)

dc/dt=3°=π/60

θ=60°=π/3

tan π/3=y/5
5tan π/3=y
y=3

c2=52+32
c2=square root of 34

Can I just plug in 3 for y, square root of 34 for c, and π/60 for dc/dt

Physics news on Phys.org
cmajor47 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

52=c2-y2
25=c2-y2
0=2c(dc/dt)-2y(dy/dt)
0=c(dc/dt) - y(dy/dt)

This would be OK up to here,

dc/dt=3°=<pi>/60

But this is not the rate of change of c, but the rate of change of [tex]\theta[/tex].

For your definitions, x = 5 and y is the altitude of the rocket. So you are looking for dy/dt (since the rocket is going straight up) and you will need to differentiate

[tex]tan\theta = \frac{y}{x}[/tex] .

(The rate at which the hypotenuse, c, is changing is not needed in this problem.)

I realized my mistakes. I now have sec2θ dθ/dt = (dy/dt)/5.
Should I plug in dθ/dt in degrees or radians?

cmajor47 said:
I realized my mistakes. I now have sec2? d?/dt = (dy/dt)/5.
Should I plug in d?/dt in degrees or radians?

In mathematical expressions, angles are expressed in radians.

What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity. This is often used in situations where the quantities are related to each other through a known equation or formula.

What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include finding the rate at which the distance between two moving objects is changing, the rate at which the area of a growing circle is changing, or the rate at which the volume of a balloon is changing as it is being inflated.

What are the key steps to solving a related rates problem?

The key steps to solving a related rates problem are identifying the known quantities, identifying the unknown quantity, finding an equation or formula that relates the known and unknown quantities, differentiating the equation with respect to time, substituting in the known values, and solving for the unknown rate of change.

What are some common mistakes made when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving related rates problems include not properly identifying the known and unknown quantities, not using the correct units for the rates of change, and not correctly differentiating the equation with respect to time.

How can I improve my ability to solve related rates problems?

To improve your ability to solve related rates problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus, including differentiation and rates of change. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of related rates problems, and to carefully and accurately identify the known and unknown quantities in each problem.