Solve 3D Vector Question: Find Plane Orthogonal to -7x+8y+5z=1

• Thread starter BoundByAxioms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation is about finding a plane containing a given line and orthogonal to a given plane by using a cross product. The original poster has been struggling to find the correct solution and has been given guidance on how to obtain the correct normal vector and a point on the plane. Eventually, they were able to find the correct answer.
BoundByAxioms
I'm doing some multi-variable calculus review, and I had a question (my understanding of the class was not as good as I would have liked it to be).

<b> 1. Homework Statement </b>.
Find a plane containing the line r(t) = <6,-6,4> + t<-2,7,-4> and orthogonal to the plane -7x+8y+5z=1.

<b> 2. Homework Equations </b>.
I think I need to use a cross product. I cross <-2,7,-4> and <-7,8,5> to get a vector orthogonal to to the plane (and the line). Then, I use n (dot) (r-r_0), but I keep getting the wrong answer. I fear that my approach is wrong though.
answer is: 635/2

<b> 3. The Attempt at a Solution </b>.
So when I cross <-2,7,-4> and <-7,8,5> I get <67, 38, 33>, and my plane is 67x+38y+33z=46.

Help please.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BoundByAxioms said:
I think I need to use a cross product. I cross <-2,7,-4> and <-7,8,5> to get a vector orthogonal to to the plane (and the line). Then, I use n (dot) (r-r_0), but I keep getting the wrong answer. I fear that my approach is wrong though.
answer is: 635/2
That numerical answer is for which part of the question? You're asked to find the plane containing the line right? I got the same normal vector as you did <67,68,33>. But then you're told to find the equation of the plane, which you know has the general form [tex]\vec{n} \cdot (\vec{r}-\vec{r_0})[/tex]

So what you're missing is a point which resides on the plane. Look at the question again, how can you get that missing point? How did you get 67x + 38y + 33z = 46?

Defennder said:
That numerical answer is for which part of the question? You're asked to find the plane containing the line right? I got the same normal vector as you did <67,68,33>. But then you're told to find the equation of the plane, which you know has the general form [tex]\vec{n} \cdot (\vec{r}-\vec{r_0})[/tex]

So what you're missing is a point which resides on the plane. Look at the question again, how can you get that missing point? How did you get 67x + 38y + 33z = 46?

Yeah that fraction was part of what I copied and pasted, so ignore that. Ok, so all I need is a point, meaning I can use t=1 to get the point (4,1,0)? Then it would be:

67(x-4)+68(y-1)+33(z-0)=0
Then
67x+68y+33z=336?

I got 67x + 38y + 33z = 46 by doing <67,38,33> \cdot <x-6, y+6, z-4>. I used t=0 for my point. I used the wrong normal vector (just a writing mistake).

Typo error on my part. The normal vector should be <67,38,33>, not <67,68,33>. Use that vector and just apply the formula for any value of t. After all, the line lies on the plane, does it not?

Defennder said:
Typo error on my part. The normal vector should be <67,38,33>, not <67,68,33>. Use that vector and just apply the formula for any value of t. After all, the line lies on the plane, does it not?

This is true. But I let t=0 and still got the wrong answer.

What's the answer supposed to be?

I got the correct answer. My arithmetic was wrong, as it usually is when doing cross-products. Thank you for your help!

1. What is a 3D vector?

A 3D vector, also known as a three-dimensional vector, is a mathematical entity that represents both direction and magnitude in three-dimensional space. It is typically represented by three numbers, known as components, and can be used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, or position.

2. How do you solve a 3D vector question?

To solve a 3D vector question, you can use various mathematical techniques such as vector addition, subtraction, dot product, and cross product. It is also important to understand and apply the properties of vectors, such as associativity and distributivity, to manipulate and simplify the given vectors.

3. What does orthogonal mean in 3D vectors?

In 3D vectors, orthogonal refers to two vectors that are perpendicular to each other. This means that the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees. In other words, the dot product of orthogonal vectors is equal to 0, indicating that they are independent of each other and do not share any common components.

4. How do you find a plane orthogonal to a given vector?

To find a plane orthogonal to a given vector, you can use the formula for the dot product of two vectors. The plane will be perpendicular to the given vector if the dot product of the given vector and any vector on the plane is equal to 0. You can also use the cross product of the given vector and another vector on the plane to find the normal vector of the plane, which is orthogonal to the given vector.

5. How do you solve a 3D vector question involving a plane?

To solve a 3D vector question involving a plane, you can use the given information to find the normal vector of the plane. Then, you can use this normal vector and a point on the plane to create the equation of the plane in vector form. From there, you can use the dot product of the given vector and the normal vector to find the angle between them, or use the cross product to find the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors on the plane.