Rotary Vane Compressor Design Calculations

In summary, the conversation revolved around designing a sliding vane rotary compressor for a supercharger application on a small horsepower engine. The person was having trouble with the calculations, particularly with the changing volumes of the rotor. They were looking for help in using basic parameters such as bore diameter, rotor diameter, number of vanes, and discharge port location to estimate power requirements, flow rate, and pressure boost in order to properly size the compressor. Another person joined in the conversation, sharing some formulae and expressing a desire to collaborate on design and material choices for the compressor. A website with additional information was also mentioned.
Mr Engineer
I am designing a sliding vane rotary compressor for a supercharger application on a small horsepower engine, but I am having trouble with the calculations. I have some estimations that I would hope to be correct (or close) but have no way to verify them at this point. One of the toughest parts is seeming to be the geometry (changing volumes as rotor spins) used for calculating the pressure change.

I basically need some way to use basic parameters such as Bore Diameter and Depth, Rotor Diameter, # Vanes, and discharge port location so that I can estimate power requirements, flow rate, and pressure boost so that I can properly size the compressor. I was wondering if anyone had any calculation equations, spreadsheets, or point me toward some documents that could help me out with this. I would appreciate any help you can give.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
I am also designing a sliding vane supercharger for an IC engine (VW aircooled beetle engine) hopefully something similar to a Judson supercharger. Looking round the internet i found these formulae hope they help you in some way, i also have some IC engine books with some information on the thermo and fluid mech of super/turbochargers. It would be great to share information and notes on design, materials etc. I am not sure as the best way to manufacture the rotor, the housing is probably best cast or forged then machined to tolerance for bearings etc, i am contemplating a billeted rotor.

the website is
http://www.austinsevenfriends.com/Bruce/Supercharger Information and Formulae.htm

I understand the importance of accurate calculations in the design of any system. In the case of a rotary vane compressor, the geometry plays a critical role in determining the pressure change and overall performance of the compressor. I would recommend consulting existing literature on compressor design, such as textbooks or research papers, to find equations and guidelines for calculating the power requirements, flow rate, and pressure boost for your specific application.

In addition, there are software programs and online calculators available that can assist in these calculations based on the parameters you mentioned, such as bore diameter, rotor diameter, and number of vanes. These tools can provide a more accurate estimation of the compressor's performance and help in properly sizing the compressor for your application.

It is also important to consider the properties of the fluid being compressed and the operating conditions, such as temperature and pressure, as they can significantly affect the compressor's performance. I would recommend conducting experiments or simulations to validate your calculations and ensure the compressor design meets your desired specifications.

In conclusion, I suggest utilizing a combination of existing literature, software tools, and experimental data to accurately calculate and validate the design of your rotary vane compressor. I wish you success in your project and hope this helps in your calculations.

1. What is a rotary vane compressor?

A rotary vane compressor is a type of positive displacement compressor that uses a series of rotating vanes to compress gas or air. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial applications for its high efficiency and reliability.

2. How does a rotary vane compressor work?

A rotary vane compressor works by using a rotor with vanes inside a cylindrical chamber. As the rotor rotates, the vanes move in and out, creating expanding and contracting chambers that compress the gas or air. This compressed air is then discharged through an outlet.

3. What are the key design calculations for a rotary vane compressor?

The key design calculations for a rotary vane compressor include determining the displacement volume, the number of vanes and their dimensions, the rotational speed, the compression ratio, and the power required to drive the compressor.

4. How do you calculate the displacement volume of a rotary vane compressor?

The displacement volume of a rotary vane compressor can be calculated by multiplying the area of the rotor by the length of the stroke and the number of vanes. This will give you the volume of air or gas that is displaced with each rotation of the rotor.

5. What factors should be considered in the design of a rotary vane compressor?

Some key factors to consider in the design of a rotary vane compressor include the type of gas or air being compressed, the required pressure and flow rate, the operating temperature and environment, the materials and lubrication used, and the overall efficiency and reliability of the compressor.