Collection of Lame Jokes

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
In summary: It's a humor that relies on absurdity and unexpectedness. It's not for everyone.Not a fan of surrealism, I take it?In summary, surrealism is an art form that relies on absurdity and unexpectedness, often producing incongruous imagery or effects. It may not be appreciated by everyone, but for those who do, it can be quite humorous.
  • #4,621
What is yellow, sour, and equivalent to the axiom of choice?
Zorn's Lemon

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,622
jim mcnamara said:
What is yellow, sour, and equivalent to the axiom of choice?
Zorn's Lemon
I promise I haven't looked:
Tuckey's lemon :biggrin:

• #4,623
fresh_42 said:
Do you write Schadenfreude with a "c"?
If I did, my wife (who taught German for many years) would whack me over the head with her German dictionary. :-p

(which, oddly enough, was actually my German dictionary in high school and college; she lost hers at one point and "adopted" mine instead of buying a new one.)

• #4,624
jtbell said:
If I did, my wife (who taught German for many years) would whack me over the head with her German dictionary.
Shouldn't this be the opposite: "If I did not, my wife ...", 'cause in German it is "Sch". However, it's pronounced "sh" in English and not "sch" as in school. I'm asking as in the other direction, i.e. if we adopt English words, they are sometimes changed a little bit to better fit. I would have expected similar the other way around, esp. with such minor changes.

• #4,625
@fresh_42 -- trying to develop rules for english is hopeless :wink:.

school
scheme
schizophrenic

"OK ... 'sch' sounds like 'sk'"

schist (the mineral type)
schlepp
schadenfreude

"uh oh, 'sch' sounds like 'sk' unless it sounds like 'sh'"

how about 'schism'?? I hear that one both ways, 'skism' and 'shism'

--- hopeless

Likes BillTre and fresh_42
  • #4,626
fresh_42 said:
if we adopt English words, they are sometimes changed a little bit to better fit. I would have expected similar the other way around, esp. with such minor changes.
I think usually in English we simply borrow foreign words "as is", not changing their spelling except maybe dropping umlauts, accent marks, etc. Sometimes we mangle the pronunciation to make it "fit" the spelling or English pronunciation habits better. However, the German 'sch' is familiar enough in English that we simply leave it alone. Think of all the people with names like Schultz, Schubert, etc. And Busch and Schlitz beers. :smile:

Last edited:
  • #4,627
gmax137 said:
"uh oh, 'sch' sounds like 'sk' unless it sounds like 'sh'"
Generally, the "sk" words are derived from Greek, while the "sh" words are borrowed from German. But that doesn't help much if you don't know the etymology. And there are exceptions, e.g. schist is derived from the same Greek root as schizophrenic and schism (which, incidentally, I've heard as skizm and sizm, but never shizm).

• #4,628
mjc123 said:
Generally, the "sk" words are derived from Greek, while the "sh" words are borrowed from German. But that doesn't help much if you don't know the etymology.
Nice info, thanks! I wonder how English natives learn Russian? We have two "sh" sounds: sch and ch - somehow a full and an empty version. Most Americans can't pronounce "ch". They make a "k" out of it. Now IIRC the Russians have a least four versions, the different "s" not counted!

• #4,629
gmax137 said:
trying to develop rules for english is hopeless :wink:.

school
scheme
schizophrenic
And schedule is pronounced differently in British English ("shedule") as compared to American English ("skedule").

Regarding schist (pronounced "shist"), the original word in Greek started with a sound closer to sk- or skh-, with the kh sound like the ch in "ach!" Also schism and schist both have to do with something that is split (schist is split into layers).

Likes fresh_42
  • #4,630
Mark44 said:
Also schism and schist both have to do with something that is split (schist is split into layers).

Indeed, and so does "schizophrenic." All the same root, interesting how they are pronounced differently.

the original word in Greek started with a sound closer to sk- or skh-, with the kh sound like the ch in "ach!"

I think that explains some of this: "sss... k" is easy ("skool") and so is "sss...h" ("shoot"). But I cannot make the "ch" in "ach" sound follow the "sss" sound. It just won't come out of my throat! Speaking as a born in the USA speaker.

• #4,631
Here's a real lame (and painful) one:

Have you heard about the goldfish who went bankrupt?
Now he's a bronzefish.

Likes davenn
  • #4,632
What does a poor but aspiring Yo-Yo Ma wannabe wrap his instrument in when he travels?

Cellophane.

Likes collinsmark
  • #4,633
fresh_42 said:
Now he's a bronzefish.
And if he merely suffered a setback, he's a silverfish.

Likes davenn and fresh_42
  • #4,634
jtbell said:
And if he merely suffered a setback, he's a silverfish.
And when he manages to get a magician show in Vegas, he's a Copperfish.

Likes davenn and jtbell
  • #4,635
Now the final question:

What did the goldfish become if he grew extraordinary big?
Titaniumfish##\quad##A Koi .

• #4,637
Two guys in a car pull up to a railroad crossing.

Guy 1: "Hmmm, looks like a train just went by."
Guy 2: "How can you tell?"
Guy 1: "It left tracks."

Likes Ibix, davenn, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #4,638
jtbell said:

A train that left the tracks wouldn't get far.

Likes Stavros Kiri
  • #4,639
That makes it easier to identify it.

Likes strangerep
  • #4,640
The will was there.
Sent him away.

Likes Bystander
  • #4,641
DrGreg said:
A train that left the tracks wouldn't get far.
mfb said:
That makes it easier to identify it.
Unless it's in Tobleronistan. It would get eaten fast! ...

• #4,642
For all the trekkies out there, and their general knowledge of Star trek.

While Captain Kirk was not an alien he was working with 3 ears.
The left ear
the right ear
and the
frontier

Likes jtbell, davenn and Stavros Kiri
  • #4,643
jtbell said:

oh dear hahaha

• #4,644
If Mickey Mouse's friend Donald were to start collecting stamps, he would be a...

duck-billed philatelist.

(aha, he already is one!)

dominica1986may22a.jpg

http://topicsonstamps.info/disney/dominicaa.htm

Attachments

• dominica1986may22a.jpg
    dominica1986may22a.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 402
Likes BillTre
  • #4,645
You matter,
unless your multiply yourself by the speed of light squared,
then you energy!

Likes 256bits and Stavros Kiri
  • #4,646
Did you know, that a small little honeybee collects more honey on a single day than a full-grown elephant within an entire year?

Likes Ibix
  • #4,647
256bits said:
While Captain Kirk was not an alien he was working with 3 ears.
The left ear
the right ear
and the
frontier

Must have been another transporter malfunction.

starblecch.gif

Attachments

• starblecch.gif
    starblecch.gif
    109.9 KB · Views: 404
Likes 256bits
  • #4,649
Psinter said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/unit-conventions-si-versus-others.902547/

Why use K (Kelvin) when you can use F (units of Freedom).

On a probably off-topic comment, Practice exams I have seen for those who want to join the US military, they work the math for gravity in ft/s^2, not m/s^2.
I vote for Celsius' original scale, which had had 0° as boiling point and 100° as freezing point. Or if it had to be upside down, then what about Réaumur?

• #4,650
fresh_42 said:
I vote for Celsius' original scale, which had had 0° as boiling point and 100° as freezing point.
CMfpZ5x.gif

Wait... is that true?

Attachments

• CMfpZ5x.gif
    CMfpZ5x.gif
    927.9 KB · Views: 672
  • #4,651
Psinter said:
View attachment 227394

Wait... is that true?
Celsius was the first to perform and publish careful experiments aiming at the definition of an international temperature scale on scientific grounds. ... He proposed the Celsius temperature scale in a paper to the Royal Society of Sciences in Uppsala, the oldest Swedish scientific society, founded in 1710. His thermometer was calibrated with a value of 100° for the freezing point of water and 0° for the boiling point. In 1745, a year after Celsius' death, the scale was reversed by Carl Linnaeus to facilitate more practical measurement. Celsius originally called his scale centigrade derived from the Latin for "hundred steps". For years it was simply referred to as the Swedish thermometer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Celsius

Likes Psinter
  • #4,653
fresh_42 said:
Did you know, that a small little honeybee collects more honey on a single day than a full-grown elephant within an entire year?

considering elephants don't collect honey, that's a truthful statement :wink::-p:biggrin:

• #4,654
fresh_42 said:
that's like this one. (I'll have to make it up as I don't remember the exact version )
A hunter is up north on his first hunting trip.
He, swatting away flying insects, says " Jeez, there sure are a lot of black flies up here."
The guide, nonchalantly replies, " Yep,keeps the alligators away."
Hunter, annoyed, says " C'mon, there aren't any alligators up here."
Guide sighing replies " See what I mean!"

Likes Stavros Kiri, fresh_42 and davenn
  • #4,655
flamin' auto-correct

there were lots of good ones, but these two were ones that wouldn't get me into trouble posting on PF :biggrin:

pregnant daughter.jpg

prepare for flamingos.jpg

Attachments

• pregnant daughter.jpg
    pregnant daughter.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 500
  • prepare for flamingos.jpg
    prepare for flamingos.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 504