Laplace u => Harmonic function

In summary, to find all homogeneous polynomials of degree 2 that are harmonic in R2, you can use the general form of such polynomials: Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 + Dx + Ey + F. Taking the partial derivative with respect to each variable will help you determine which values of the coefficients A, B, C, D, E, and F will result in a harmonic function.
Somefantastik
In R2, I am to find all homog. polys (deg 2) that are harmonic.

the earlier homework included something like u = xy, show it's harmonic. EASY as pi. But I'm not really sure how to set this problem up. I understand the concept that a harmonic function will look like [tex] \nabla^{2} u = 0 [/tex], but I'm not sure how to find all polys of degree 2.

I started out doing something like

[tex] u = a_{2}x^{2}_{1} + a_{1}x_{1} + a_{0} + b_{2}x^{2}_{2} + b_{1}x_{2} + b_{0}+... [/tex]

and taking the partial with respect to each xi but that's not getting me very far.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are in R^2, then you only need x and y. The general 2nd-degree polynomial is simply

[tex]Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 + Dx + Ey + F[/tex]

Thank you. I ended up with f(x,y) = Ax2 + Bx + C - Ay2 + Ey + F covers harmonic polys in R2.

1. What is a Laplace u function?

A Laplace u function, or harmonic function, is a mathematical function that satisfies Laplace's equation, which is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a system in equilibrium. It is a function that has a constant value at each point in its domain, and its value at any point is equal to the average of its neighboring points.

2. What is the significance of a harmonic function in science?

Harmonic functions are important in science because they describe systems in equilibrium, such as the electric potential in electrostatics or the temperature distribution in heat transfer. They also have many applications in engineering, physics, and other fields.

3. How is a harmonic function different from other types of functions?

A harmonic function is different from other types of functions because it satisfies Laplace's equation, which means it has a constant value at each point in its domain. This is in contrast to other types of functions, such as polynomial functions, which have varying values at different points in their domain.

4. What are some real-life examples of harmonic functions?

Some real-life examples of harmonic functions include the electric potential in a system of charges, the temperature distribution in a heated object, and the gravitational potential in a system of masses. Other examples include the flow of fluids and the stress distribution in solid materials.

5. How do scientists use harmonic functions in their research?

Scientists use harmonic functions in their research to model and analyze various physical phenomena. They use techniques such as Fourier series and boundary value problems to solve Laplace's equation and obtain solutions for harmonic functions. These solutions can then be applied to real-world problems and systems to make predictions and gain insights into their behavior.