AP Free Fall Question Solved: Finding Velocity & Time in Vertical Motion

In summary, the question involves a hot air balloon traveling vertically upward at a constant speed of 5.00m/s. A package is released from the balloon when it is 21.0m above the ground. The question asks for the time the package is in the air after being released and the velocity of the package just before impact with the ground. The correct method is to use 5m/s as the initial velocity, as the package was initially moving at the same speed as the balloon. The answer to question B is -20.9m/s.
jwxie
AP free fall question (solved)

Homework Statement

I have problem with question b.

A hot air bolloon is traveluing vertically upward at a constant speed of 5.00m/s. When it is 21.0m above the ground, a package is released from the balloon. a) for how long after being released is the package in the air? b) what is the velocity of the package just before impact with the ground?

Homework Equations

vf = vi+at
vf^2 = vi^2+2ad
d=vt + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got Question A with the following

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
so vf^2 = 5m/s^2 + 2 (-9.8m/s^2)(21m)
and i found the final velocity at the moment it release the package to be 20.9m/s
and i use that as my initial velcoity to find out the answer for question A, and the time is 2.64s

Now, what I don't understand is, since the 2 objects moves at the same speed initially, but if the package is drop, shouldn't the initial velocity stays as 20.9m/s?
i mean i know this is a free-fall question but the correct method is to use 5m/s as my inital velocity (back to the original question), but why?

From my point of view, the balloon carries the package until 21meter, then it releases it, so it descends at 9.8m/s^2. But at the moment when it release, the package is at 20.9m/s upward, so how come we use 5 m/s as our initial in order to find question B?
]
when i tried question B, i use 20.9m/s as my vi instead of 5m/s.
of course, if i use 20.9m/s as my vi, i will get -4.9m/s as my vf which is never possible because the package is going downward as 9.8m/s^2.

the correct answer for question B is -20.9m/s

may someone tell me why?

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
umm I see that as simple mistakes.

1. If they are moving at the same speed up, why would acceleration affect the box? Especially since the balloon is moving at constant speed, which means a = 0.
[You confuse me with that question]

2. you answered it with A.

Again deduce your questions better, I can't undrestand them.

never mind guys
solved it

again, feel so stupid for didn't remember "constant speed"

Solaxys said:
umm I see that as simple mistakes.

1. If they are moving at the same speed up, why would acceleration affect the box? Especially since the balloon is moving at constant speed, which means a = 0.
[You confuse me with that question]

2. you answered it with A.

Again deduce your questions better, I can't undrestand them.

sorry my friend

i think the approach is somehow right, since 5m/s and 20.9m/s is initial and final as in question a and b
(the mistake is like what you said, constant speed...)the problem is, i think you and i were right about constant speed
if they are moving at constant speed, then even at the moment the package was released, the speed is at 5m/s

1. What is AP free fall question?

AP free fall question is a type of problem commonly found in physics and science courses that involves objects falling under the influence of gravity. These questions often require the use of kinematic equations and concepts such as acceleration, velocity, and distance to solve.

2. How do I solve an AP free fall question?

To solve an AP free fall question, you will need to identify the given information such as the initial velocity, acceleration, and distance. Then, you can use one or more of the kinematic equations, such as the equation for displacement or velocity, to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) on Earth. This means that objects will accelerate towards the Earth at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2, regardless of their mass.

4. What is the difference between free fall and air resistance?

Free fall refers to the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity alone, without the presence of air resistance. Air resistance occurs when an object moves through the air, and the air molecules exert a force on the object, slowing it down. In free fall, the acceleration of an object is solely due to gravity, whereas in the presence of air resistance, the acceleration will be less than the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can AP free fall questions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, AP free fall questions can be used to solve real-world problems, such as calculating the time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height or determining the velocity of a falling object. These problems are commonly used in fields such as engineering and physics to analyze and understand the motion of objects in free fall.