Calculating Atomic Fraction of C in Carbon Dioxide at STP

In summary, an average of 5 disintegrations per minute occur in a liter of carbon dioxide at standard temperature and pressure. This means that the atomic fraction of C-14 present is 5/14 or 0.71.
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

In a sample of one litre of carbon dioxide at STP an average of 5 disintegrations

C -> N + e + v

are observed per minute. Calculate the atomic fraction of C present if the mean lifetime of this nucleus is 8267 years.

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]-1 = 8267 years

N(t) = N0 * [tex]e[/tex]-[tex](\omega[/tex] * t)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found [tex]\tau[/tex] = 2.607 * 1011 seconds.

And really I'm at a loss of where to go next. I figure N(t)/N0 is what I am looking for but I cannot solve for this without knowing the time t and I do not know where the 5 disintegrations per minute comes in. I'm not looking for an answer(already know it), i just want a little push in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
iamalexalright said:

Homework Statement

In a sample of one litre of carbon dioxide at STP an average of 5 disintegrations

C -> N + e + v

are observed per minute. Calculate the atomic fraction of C present if the mean lifetime of this nucleus is 8267 years.

Homework Equations

And really I'm at a loss of where to go next. I figure N(t)/N0 is what I am looking for but I cannot solve for this without knowing the time t and I do not know where the 5 disintegrations per minute comes in. I'm not looking for an answer(already know it), i just want a little push in the right direction.

Since there are an average of 5 disintegrations per minute, you would expect:

[tex] N(t)-N(t+60s)=5 [/tex]...can you take it from there?

iamalexalright said:

Homework Statement

C -> N + e + v

Homework Equations

One can find the total amount of carbon from "one litre of carbon dioxide" - simply find the moles of CO2 in 1 liter at STP. It would appear that one is to find the atomic fraction of radiocarbon or C-14.

The activity, decays per unit time, is the product of the decay constant [itex]\lambda[/itex] and the number of atoms of the radionuclide present, i.e. A(t) = [itex]\lambda[/itex] N(t). One is given A, so find N.

1. What is the atomic fraction of carbon in carbon dioxide at STP?

The atomic fraction of carbon in carbon dioxide at STP (standard temperature and pressure) is 0.27, meaning that approximately 27% of the atoms in carbon dioxide are carbon.

2. How is the atomic fraction of carbon in carbon dioxide at STP calculated?

The atomic fraction of carbon in carbon dioxide at STP is calculated by dividing the atomic weight of carbon (12.01 g/mol) by the molecular weight of carbon dioxide (44.01 g/mol) and multiplying by 100%.

3. What is STP and why is it important for calculating atomic fraction?

STP (standard temperature and pressure) is a set of standard conditions used in chemistry and physics, defined as a temperature of 273.15 K (0°C) and a pressure of 1 atmosphere (101.325 kPa). It is important for calculating atomic fraction because it provides a consistent reference point for comparing different substances at the same temperature and pressure.

4. Can the atomic fraction of carbon in carbon dioxide at STP vary?

No, the atomic fraction of carbon in carbon dioxide at STP is a constant value of 0.27. However, the total amount of carbon dioxide present may vary depending on the amount of carbon and oxygen atoms present.

5. What is the significance of calculating atomic fraction in carbon dioxide?

Calculating the atomic fraction of carbon in carbon dioxide is important for understanding the composition of this common gas and its role in atmospheric and environmental processes. It can also be used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in the production of carbon-based fuels and in chemical reactions involving carbon dioxide.