Chemistry:difficulty in understanding these statements:-

• Thread starter leena19
  • Start date
In summary, as the atomic radius increases down Group 7 halogens, the ability to accept an electron decreases. This leads to a decrease in reactivity and oxidising power/ability down the group. The oxidising power/ability refers to the elements' ability to act as oxidising agents. This can be seen in the Cl2 water test, where Cl2 is a better oxidising agent than Br2 and I2. However, this is contradictory to the trend across a period, where reducing power/ability increases, meaning the ability to undergo oxidation also increases. This is because when something oxidizes something else, it grabs electrons and the thing that supplied the electrons is oxidized. Therefore, the higher the reducing power/ability,
leena19
'As the atomic radius increases down Group 7 halogens,the ability to accept an electron decreases,(this, I understand).
As a result,the reactivity of halogens decreases down the group and also the oxidising power/ability of the halogens decreases down the group"

It is the part in bold that I can't understand.Does the oxidising power stated here refer to the elements' ability to act as oxidising agents?Atleast this is what I think, considering the Cl2 water test,but elsewhere ,my notes on the periodic trends state that across a period 'the reducing power/reducing ability infact,increases across a period'.
Now I'm confused,'cos if the first were true,that would mean the ability to undergo oxidation would increase across a period which seems a bit absurd,I think?

My other problem is, "down the electrochemical series the higher metals replace the lower ones,but for the non-metals in the series the reverse is true,the nonmetal lower down displaces the one higher",but how so,I tried googling but I didn't get a comprehensive answer.

Hope my problem is clear and I really hope someone can help me understand .
THANX IN ADVANCE

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The normal oxidation state for a halogen is -1... thus, the neutral atom must grab an electron from somewhere to achieve that electronic configuration.

What is the definition of oxidation?

Oxidation is when an atom,
1. gains oxygen
2.loses electrons
3.loses protons ? Thus the oxidation no. of the atom increases

When something oxidizes something else, it grabs electrons. The thing that supplied the electrons is oxidized and the thing that did the grabbing is reduced.

chemisttree said:
When something oxidizes something else, it grabs electrons. The thing that supplied the electrons is oxidized and the thing that did the grabbing is reduced.

Yes.I understand this.the thing that oxidises something else is an oxidising agent and that which underwent oxidation is a reducing agent.

But what I don't understand is,
the reactivity of halogens decreases down the group and also the oxidising power/ability of the halogens decreases down the group"
the meaning of the phrase 'oxidising ability/power' as used here.I think it means the elements' ability to act as an oxidising agent cause I believe Cl2 is a better oxidising agent than Br2,I2, which is the basis of the Cl2 water test,right? so...their ability to act as oxidisnig agents decreases down the group?
But if my interpretation of "oxidising ability/power' were true,
my notes on the periodic trends state that across a period 'the reducing power/reducing ability infact,increases across a period'.
how can this also be true?
This would mean that across a period ,the ability to undergo oxidation increases across a period?
I'm extremely confused.
Need some help here,please...

1. Why is chemistry difficult to understand?

Chemistry can be difficult to understand because it involves abstract concepts and complex mathematical equations. It also requires a strong foundation in math and critical thinking skills.

2. What are some common challenges in understanding chemistry?

Some common challenges in understanding chemistry include memorizing large amounts of information, understanding the connections between different concepts, and applying abstract concepts to real-world scenarios.

3. How can I improve my understanding of chemistry?

Improving your understanding of chemistry requires practice and patience. It is important to actively engage with the material, ask questions, and seek help when needed. Forming study groups and using visual aids can also be helpful in understanding difficult concepts.

4. What are some strategies for understanding complex chemical equations?

Some strategies for understanding complex chemical equations include breaking them down into smaller parts, using diagrams or models to visualize the reactions, and practicing solving problems using different methods.

5. How can I overcome my fear of chemistry?

Overcoming a fear of chemistry may involve identifying the root cause of the fear, seeking support from classmates or a tutor, and reframing your mindset towards the subject. It is also important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and it is okay to make mistakes while learning.