What is the net force acting on a wheel with a cord wrapped around it?

In summary, the problem involves a solid uniform wheel with a radius of 0.250 m and a mass of 9.20 kg. A horizontal force of 40.0 N is applied to the cord wrapped around the rim of the wheel, causing it to pull tangentially. The wheel is mounted on frictionless bearings on a horizontal axle through its center. The question is asking for the magnitude and direction of the force exerted by the axle on the wheel, taking into account the center of mass not moving.
Amar.alchemy

Homework Statement

A cord is wrapped around the rim of a solid uniform wheel 0.250 m in radius and of mass 9.20 kg. A steady horizontal pull of 40.0 N to the right is exerted on the cord, pulling it off tangentially from the wheel. The wheel is mounted on frictionless bearings on a horizontal axle through its center. Find the magnitude and direction of the force that the axle exerts on the wheel

Homework Equations

Newtons laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that there are normal force and weight along y-axis. However I'm confused whether there is any x-component force exerted by the axle on the wheel. Kindly explain me??

Physics news on Phys.org
I might be wrong as I haven't reached this subject matter just yet, but I think you need to take into consideration the fact that there is 0 linear translation of the center of mass.

Another force is suddenly required.

RoyalCat said:
I might be wrong as I haven't reached this subject matter just yet, but I think you need to take into consideration the fact that there is 0 linear translation of the center of mass.

Another force is suddenly required.

can u please explain it with little more details??

Amar.alchemy said:
can u please explain it with little more details??

The center of mass isn't moving, what does that say about the net force acting on the mass?

What is the definition of rotation of a rigid body?

The rotation of a rigid body refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis, without any change in its shape or size.

What causes a rigid body to rotate?

A rigid body can rotate when a force is applied to it, causing it to move around a fixed point or axis. This force can be applied by an external force, such as a push or a pull, or by an internal force, such as a muscle contraction.

What are the different types of rotation of rigid bodies?

There are two main types of rotation of rigid bodies: translational rotation and rotational rotation. Translational rotation refers to the movement of the object as a whole, while rotational rotation refers to the spinning or turning of the object around its axis.

What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration in rotational motion?

Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of the angular displacement of a rigid body, while angular acceleration refers to the rate of change of the angular velocity. In other words, angular velocity measures the speed of rotation, while angular acceleration measures how quickly the speed of rotation is changing.

How is the rotational motion of a rigid body related to its moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of a rigid body is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. The higher the moment of inertia, the more force is needed to cause the object to rotate. This relationship is described by the equation: angular acceleration = torque / moment of inertia.