Hooking up surround sound, how to disable tv's speakers?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the big-screen TV in the house has pretty crappy sound from its own speakers, but one of the guys brought in his receiver and amplifier to try to improve the sound. However, the TV's volume control is supposed to be used to control the receiver's volume, not the TV's. If you don't want to use two remotes, you can take the signal from the headphones jack on the TV and route it to the receiver.
KingNothing
In my house we have a big-screen TV that has pretty crappy sound from it's own speakers. One of the guys brought in his receiver & amplifier to use with it to improve the sound. Now ideally I would just want to leave the receiver/amp alone and never touch it - just controlling everything from the TV.

In other words, I want the sole input on the receiver to be the audio output of the TV. However, I don't want the TV's speakers going at the same time.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any suggestions? I really, really want to avoid asking people to deal with the receiver at all.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think most TV's have an option for disabling the TV speaker. I'm looking at mine right now and under the audio menu there's an option called TV Speaker which you can toggle on and off.

Consult your owner's manual... and if you lost it or never had it then consult google.

Why can't you just press the mute button on the TV remote, or turn the volume down to zero if there is no mute option. Or do you want to control your amp volume with your TV remote?
Btw you should have posted this under the technology forum.

TV brand and model?

I think on most TVs, the audio outputs that you would connect to an external receiver etc. are not affected by the TV's volume control. They carry a constant "line level" output that is supposed to be controlled by the external device. At least the TV's I've owned work like this. So you simply turn the volume to zero on the TV and leave it there, and adjust the receiver's volume control as necessary.

If you don't want to use two remotes (one to change channels on the TV, one to change the volume on the receiver), you need a remote that can be programmed to control both devices. Some devices come with remotes that can be programmed to control other devices. Maybe your receiver's or TV's remote is like this. Or you can get a third-party universal remote. (I splurged on a Logitech Harmony remote that can control all my audio and video devices, turning on/off appropriate combinations of them for various activities.)

Maybe headphones (just plugged into turn off the speakers -- you don't need to actually wear them).

You could take signal from the headphones jack on the TV as input to your receiver. I have done that. Using a suitable plug in the headphone jack does disable the TV speakers and your can route the signal directly to your receiver.

Last edited:

1. What is surround sound and how does it work?

Surround sound is a type of audio technology that creates a more immersive listening experience by using multiple speakers to create a 360-degree sound field. This is achieved by placing speakers in front, behind, and to the sides of the listener, and using a surround sound receiver to process and distribute the audio signals to each speaker.

2. How do I hook up my surround sound system to my TV?

To hook up your surround sound system to your TV, you will need an HDMI cable or an optical audio cable. Connect one end of the cable to the HDMI or optical audio output on your TV, and the other end to the corresponding input on your surround sound receiver. Make sure to select the appropriate input on your receiver and TV to ensure the audio is being properly routed.

3. Can I disable my TV's built-in speakers when using surround sound?

Yes, you can disable your TV's built-in speakers when using surround sound. Most TVs have a setting in their audio menu that allows you to turn off the internal speakers. You can also physically disconnect the speakers by unplugging them or using the TV's audio output settings to switch to an external speaker setup.

4. Why would I want to disable my TV's speakers when using surround sound?

Disabling your TV's speakers when using surround sound can improve the overall sound quality and prevent audio distortion. This is because the surround sound system is designed to provide a more immersive and accurate sound experience, whereas TV speakers are often lower in quality and can interfere with the surround sound system's audio output.

5. What should I do if I am experiencing audio sync issues with my surround sound system and TV?

If you are experiencing audio sync issues with your surround sound system and TV, try adjusting the audio delay settings on your TV or surround sound receiver. You can also try using a different HDMI or optical audio cable, as a faulty cable can also cause audio sync issues. If the problem persists, consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.