GR Resources: Books 3,4,6 & Arxiv Free Material

In summary, there are several resources available for free online that provide useful material for those studying general relativity. These include Ruslan Sharipov's website, which offers free books 3, 4, and 6, and arXiv, which has legitimate free material. There are also notes available on several websites, such as ruslan-sharipov.ucoz.com and freetextbooks.narod.ru, which may be helpful in studying general relativity. However, it is unclear if these notes are the same as Carroll's book Spacetime and Geometry, as they are significantly shorter in length.
qspeechc
I am currently taking a GR course and I am finding the following quite useful:

Ruslan Sharipov's Website has some GR relevant material, specifically books number 3,4, and 6. These books are free, as you will see is stated within the first few pages of the book.

Also, http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019" [Broken] are freely available online too. Arxiv material is legitimately free. I am not sure if these notes are the same as Carroll's book Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity, but I doubt it since the free notes are 231 pages long and the book is more than twice as long.

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My geocities.com/r-sharipov site is now off. Use the following sites instead:
http://ruslan-sharipov.ucoz.com" [Broken]
http://freetextbooks.narod.ru" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for sharing these resources! I am also currently taking a GR course and I have found that having a variety of materials to reference and learn from can be very helpful. I will definitely check out Ruslan Sharipov's website and the arxiv material. It's great to know that there are free options available for studying GR. I will also keep in mind the length difference between the notes and Carroll's book. Thanks again for sharing and happy studying!

1. What topics are covered in GR resources books 3, 4, 6, and Arxiv free material?

The GR resources books 3, 4, 6, and Arxiv free material cover topics related to general relativity, including black holes, cosmology, and gravitational waves. They also cover advanced topics such as quantum gravity and the holographic principle.

2. Are these resources suitable for beginners?

While some prior knowledge of physics and mathematics is helpful, the GR resources books 3, 4, 6, and Arxiv free material can be beneficial for beginners as they provide a comprehensive introduction to the concepts of general relativity and its applications.

3. Are there any exercises or practice problems included in these resources?

Yes, the GR resources books 3, 4, 6, and Arxiv free material include exercises and practice problems to help readers test their understanding and apply the concepts learned. They also provide solutions to these exercises for further clarification.

4. Can these resources be used for self-study or are they meant for classroom use?

These resources can be used for both self-study and classroom use. They are designed to provide a thorough understanding of general relativity and can be beneficial for anyone interested in the subject.

5. Are there any additional resources recommended to supplement these materials?

Yes, the author of these resources also recommends referring to other books and research papers on general relativity and related topics for a deeper understanding. The Arxiv free material also includes references to other relevant research papers for further reading.