Mass/energy as a condition of spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that mass and energy are not objects that can be dropped into space, but rather they are conditions of space itself. This concept also applies to gravity waves. The question is raised about whether it is correct to say that mass/energy is a "condition of spacetime", with the invariant-mass component being a condition of space and the energy component being a condition of time. The idea that time is an abstraction is brought up as well. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of a well-defined understanding of space in the study of mass and energy.
FayeKane
Mass/energy as a "condition of spacetime"

I recently read somewhere (I think here) that mass is not something you "drop into" space, rather it's a condition of space, and that gravity waves are also a "condition of space".

a) is this correct?

b) If so, is it more generally correct to say that mass/energy is a "condition of spacetime", and specifically that the invariant-mass component is a condition of space, while the energy component is a condition of time?

c) if question b) is in fact meaningless, is there a way to rephrase the statement "mass is a condition of space" so that it that it involves time as well as space?

I forget whatever you call relativistic mass minus invariant mass because I'm Alzhammered.

--flk

Physics news on Phys.org

FK,

I wish you remembered where you read the observation on mass/energy/gravity/space. I would like to read it.

Space is the bete noir of relativity theoretics.

1. The physical characteristics of actual space are never well defined.
2. All references to relativity space are abstractions, i.e. imaginary geometries.
3. To conceal this fundamental flaw in the corpus of relativity theoretics, a sleight of hand, spacetime is used exclusively.
4. Mass/energy/gravity are trivial without a well articulated definition of actual space.

To answer your question both mass & energy are fundamentally related to space. Time is an abstraction.

Thanks for an insightful post,

d

a) Yes, this statement is correct. Mass and energy are not separate entities that exist independently in space, but rather they are intrinsic properties of spacetime.

b) It is more accurate to say that mass/energy is a condition of spacetime, rather than specifying one component as a condition of space and the other as a condition of time. This is because mass and energy are interrelated through Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, which shows that they are two different aspects of the same underlying concept.

c) A possible way to rephrase the statement could be "mass/energy is an inherent property of the fabric of spacetime". This acknowledges that both mass and energy are essential components of the structure of spacetime, and cannot be separated from it.

1. What is the concept of mass/energy as a condition of spacetime?

The concept of mass/energy as a condition of spacetime is based on Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that mass and energy are interchangeable and can affect the curvature of spacetime. This means that objects with mass and energy can warp the fabric of space and time, causing the phenomenon of gravity.

2. How does mass/energy affect the structure of spacetime?

Mass and energy create a gravitational field which curves the fabric of spacetime. This curvature determines how objects move through space and time, including the trajectory of planets and the bending of light. The more massive an object is, the more it will affect the curvature of spacetime.

3. Can mass/energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that mass and energy are always present in the universe, just in different forms.

4. How is the concept of mass/energy as a condition of spacetime used in modern physics?

The concept of mass/energy as a condition of spacetime is used in various fields of modern physics, including cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. It helps us understand the behavior of objects in the universe and has led to groundbreaking discoveries such as the existence of black holes.

5. Can mass/energy travel through spacetime?

Yes, mass and energy can travel through spacetime, but they are subject to the laws of relativity. The speed of light is the maximum speed at which any form of energy or information can travel through spacetime. This means that objects with mass, such as particles, cannot travel at the speed of light, but can only approach it.