Simple equation involving natural log

In summary, the natural log function, represented as ln(x), is the inverse of the exponential function and is commonly used in mathematics and science to solve equations. Its main difference from regular logarithms is that it has a base of the mathematical constant e. To solve an equation involving natural log, you must isolate the variable inside the function and exponentiate both sides with the base e. The argument of the natural log function must always be positive, and its domain is all positive real numbers while its range is all real numbers. In real life, the natural log function is used in fields such as economics, biology, and physics to model growth and decay, calculate compound interest and population growth, and transform data for statistical analysis.
jsphgllwy
Can anybody solve for x?

6=(36/9)ln(120/x)

The answer is x=22.3

I have so far got:

6=4*ln(120)-ln(x)
6=19.15-ln(x)

I think it may be incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

[tex]e^{ln (x)} = \; ?[/tex]

, and I am not sure how to proceed.

I would recommend double-checking your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for ln(120) and ln(x). If you are still having trouble solving for x, you can also try using a calculator or a computer program to help you find the solution. Remember to always check your work and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

1. What is the natural log function and how is it different from a regular logarithm?

The natural log function, represented as ln(x), is the inverse of the exponential function. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to solve equations involving exponential growth or decay. The main difference between natural log and regular logarithm is that the base of the natural log is the mathematical constant e (approximately 2.718), while the base of regular logarithms can be any number greater than 0.

2. How do I solve a simple equation involving natural log?

To solve a simple equation involving natural log, you must isolate the variable that is inside the natural log function. Then, you can exponentiate both sides of the equation with the base e to eliminate the natural log. Finally, simplify and solve for the variable.

3. Can the argument of the natural log function be negative?

No, the argument of the natural log function must always be a positive number. This is because the natural log function is only defined for values greater than 0. If the argument is negative, the result would be an imaginary number.

4. What is the domain and range of the natural log function?

The domain of the natural log function is all positive real numbers, while the range is all real numbers. This means that the natural log function can take any positive input and produce a real number as the output.

5. How is the natural log function used in real life?

The natural log function is used in various fields such as economics, biology, and physics to model growth and decay. It is also used to calculate compound interest, radioactive decay, and population growth. In addition, the natural log function is used in statistical analysis to transform data into a more linear form for easier analysis.