If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?

In summary: But let's try to stay on topic here.In summary, the question of whether sound is created when a tree falls and there is no one around to hear it has been a topic of debate for a long time. While some argue that sound is only perceived when detected by ears, others argue that sound is created by the vibrations of physical matter regardless of whether it is heard or not. The existence of sound can be supported by equations and observations, but others may argue that without a human observer or measuring device, it cannot be verified. Some suggest testing the movement of dirt in a lab experiment to better understand the role of air vibrations in sound. Ultimately, the question remains open for interpretation.

If a tree falls on a woman, and know one is around to hear it, why is there a tree in the kitchen?

Physics news on Phys.org

Topher925 said:
If a tree falls on a woman, and know one is around to hear it, why is there a tree in the kitchen?
:rofl:

Sorry, until there is absolute agreement about Schrodinger's cat, I see no hope for this problem.

I define sound as a perception of organisms.

Outside the context of organisms, it's just pressure fluctuations. But yes, they still happen, they just don't enter the canal, translate through the eardrum, act on the hair cells, and pass electrical signals through a giant biological network which interprets the pressure fluctuations meaningfully (traditionally, as they can be classified in terms of survival).

rootX said:
I never able to find answer for my question which is similar: What is the Sound of the Single Hand?

A slap.

Well this analogises really well to the wave function obviously.

Basically hear is a perception, sound is a modulation of frequency in air in this case but is defined by our perceptual measure of what sound is itself. If no humans existed then what would we call sound and would it exist independently of the experimenter or here the person hearing it? Probably but not as sound more as whatever some other consciousness defined as sound and there is no reason that would be identical. So what is sound?

The answer therefore is if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound.

Bohr would of said no it cannot because without a perceptual evaluation all we can say is the sound is undefined or unmeasured it is hence not a sound.

Einstein on the other hand would say yes of course it does make a sound and a sound, sound exists independent of a perception: Copenhagen interpretation is for schmucks! Hey if I am not looking at the moon it still exists right!

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:
Sorry, until there is absolute agreement about Schrodinger's cat, I see no hope for this problem.

Or in fact for interpretations moving from philosophy to fact.

This question is a philosophical question, it is better expressed like this