How can I use calculus to graph f(x)= 10(ln(ln(x))/ln(x))?

In summary, to accurately sketch the function f(x)= 10(ln(ln(x))/ln(x), one can use calculus and a graphing calculator. The function has a vertical asymptote at x=1 and a x-intercept at x=2.71828. Using calculus, one can find the local maximum at (15.1543, 3.67879) by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero. The derivative can also be used to determine where the function is increasing or decreasing, and the second derivative can determine the function's concavity. However, this can also be done without a graphing calculator by finding where the numerator and denominator of the function are equal to zero.
NonTradHaruka
1. Graphing Carefully: Sketch f(x)= 10(ln(ln(x))/ln(x) accurately using calculus, your calculator, or both to aid you. Make sure to include all vertical asymptotes, as well as local extrema

2. f(x)= 10(ln(ln(x))/ln(x)

3. OK. I might come across as stupid but here goes... I don't know what to do. I looked at the graph and figured 'what is there to show?' besides a VA. So I came up with VA=1, x-intercept=2.71828, and the local max is (15.1543, 3.67879. But how do I get this with calculus? I solved for f'(x) but I do not know how to work this stuff to find/prove the max and increasing/decreasing, concavity,etc. HELP, please. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do all of this without a graphing calculator. For the vertical asymptote, where is the denominator zero? For x-intercepts, where is the numerator zero? For max value/min value, where is the derivative of the function zero? For where the function is increasing/decreasing, where is the derivative positive/negative? For where the function is concave up/concave down, where is the 2nd derivative positive/negative?

Thanks for the reply Mark44.

I worked it out! I think I made it harder that it was... a lot harder than it was.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

What is a Simple Natural log graph?

A Simple Natural log graph is a graph that represents the logarithmic function with base e (also known as the natural logarithm). It is a curve that increases slowly at first and then accelerates as the input increases.

How is a Simple Natural log graph different from a regular log graph?

A Simple Natural log graph uses a different base (e) compared to a regular log graph, which commonly uses base 10. This results in a different shape and scale of the graph.

What are the properties of a Simple Natural log graph?

Some of the properties of a Simple Natural log graph include the asymptote at x=0, the curve passing through the point (1,0), and the graph being concave up (curving upwards) for all values of x.

What are the real-life applications of a Simple Natural log graph?

A Simple Natural log graph is commonly used in fields such as biology, economics, and physics to model exponential growth and decay. It is also used in finance to calculate compound interest and in data analysis to transform data that follows an exponential trend.

How can a Simple Natural log graph be used to solve equations?

A Simple Natural log graph can be used to solve equations by transforming the equation into a linear form. This makes it easier to solve for the unknown variable by finding the intersection point of the linear graph and the logarithmic curve.