Differential equation linear input/output

In summary, the equation given in the homework models a physical system where the output y is affected by the input u. The solution to this equation is composed of a homogeneous and particular part, with the particular part being the response to the input. This means that the size of the output scales linearly with the size of the input, as increasing the input by a constant factor would also increase the output by the same factor. This is due to the fact that multiplying both the input and output by a constant does not change the equality in the equation, making it a linear system.
gomerpyle

Homework Statement

Given the equation my'' + cy' + ky = ku + cu' explain why the size of the output scales linearly with the size of the input. In your argument, do NOT actually try to find the solution(s) to the equation, rather use the definition of what it means to be a solution to a DE in your explanation.

Homework Equations

my''(t) + cy'(t) + ky(t) = ku(t) + cu'(t)

This equation models a physical system where m is a mass, c is a damper, and k is a spring. y is the output and u is the input.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm probably reading too much into this, given the equation is not very simple but the explanation supposedly should be pretty easy.

I know the solution is made up of the homogeneous and particular parts. Since the particular solution is the response to input, I'm guessing the explanation has something to do with that. The solution y(t) should also satisfy the equality in the equation for all values of t in order to be a solution. Must y(t) = u(t) and thus increase u(t) by a factor of some constant will thus affect the output?

I've done searches on linear input/output systems, but most sources give lengthy mathematical discussions about why they are linear. Could someone steer me in the right direction please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if u(t) and y(t) solve that equation, and C is some constant, then don't C*u(t) and C*y(t) also solve it? This wouldn't be true if the equation were something like y'(t)^2=u(t), right? I think it's as simple as that.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time or space, and is commonly used to model physical systems and phenomena.

2. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear differential equations?

A linear differential equation is one in which the dependent variable and its derivatives appear only in a linear form, meaning that they are raised to the first power and are not multiplied together. Nonlinear differential equations, on the other hand, involve higher powers and/or products of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

3. What is the input/output relationship in a differential equation?

The input/output relationship in a differential equation refers to the relationship between the independent variable (input) and the dependent variable (output). In other words, it describes how changes in the input value affect the output value in a given system.

4. How are initial conditions determined in a differential equation?

Initial conditions are determined by specifying the value of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a certain point in time or space. These values are used to solve the differential equation and determine the behavior of the system over time or space.

5. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The method used will depend on the type of differential equation and the specific problem being solved.