Comparing G_{11} Solutions: Maple, Mathematica, and References 1-4

In summary: G_{11} component is given by G_{11} = \frac{e^{-\lambda}(r \nu' - e^{\lambda} + 1)}{r^2}, according to reference 4. In summary, there are multiple solutions for the G_{11} component, but the correct one is given by G_{11} = \frac{e^{-\lambda}(r \nu' - e^{\lambda} + 1)}{r^2}, as shown by reference 4.
Orion1

Schwarzschild metric:
[tex]c^{2} d\tau^{2} = e^{\nu(r)} dt^{2} - e^{\lambda(r)} dr^{2} - r^2 d\theta^{2} - r^2 \sin^2 \theta d\phi^2[/tex]

According to reference 1, the Maple 13 'tensor' package generated this solution for the [itex]G_{11}[/tex] component:
[tex]G_{11} = \frac{- r \nu' + e^{\lambda} - 1}{r^2}[/tex]

According to reference 2, the Mathematica 6 'Einsteintensor' package generated this solution for the [itex]G_{11}[/tex] component:
[tex]G_{11} = \frac{e^{-\lambda} (-r \nu' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}[/tex]

According to reference 3 - eq. series 7, the solution for the [itex]G_{11}[/tex] component:
[tex]G_{11} = \frac{\nu'}{r} - \frac{e^{\lambda}}{r^2} + \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

According to reference 4 - eq. 4, the solution for the [itex]G_{11}[/itex] component:
[tex]G_{11} = \frac{e^{-\lambda} (r \nu' - e^{\lambda} + 1)}{r^2}[/tex]

Which [itex]G_{11}[/itex] component is the correct solution?

Reference:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2543074&postcount=1"
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2547561&postcount=2"
http://www.bergshoeff.fmns.rug.nl/gr/form1.pdf"
http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/rawdataupload/upload/insa/INSA_2/20005a87_195.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Orion1 said:

Schwarzschild metric:
[tex]c^{2} d\tau^{2} = e^{\nu(r)} dt^{2} - e^{\lambda(r)} dr^{2} - r^2 d\theta^{2} - r^2 \sin^2 \theta d\phi^2[/tex]

According to reference 1, the Maple 13 'tensor' package generated this solution for the [itex]G_{11}[/tex] component:

According to reference 2, the Mathematica 6 'Einsteintensor' package generated this solution for the [itex]G_{11}[/tex] component:
[tex]G_{11} = \frac{e^{-\lambda} (-r \nu' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}[/tex]

According to reference 3 - eq. series 7, the solution for the [itex]G_{11}[/tex] component:
[tex]G_{11} = \frac{\nu'}{r} - \frac{e^{\lambda}}{r^2} + \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

According to reference 4 - eq. 4, the solution for the [itex]G_{11}[/itex] component:
[tex]G_{11} = \frac{e^{-\lambda} (r \nu' - e^{\lambda} + 1)}{r^2}[/tex]

Which [itex]G_{11}[/itex] component is the correct solution?

Reference:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2543074&postcount=1"
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2547561&postcount=2"

Maple is always the master of all! I calculated G11 by hand and got exactly the same result as Maple!

Edit: The result from Mathematica has an extra factor [tex]e^{-\lambda}[/tex] which along with the computation obtained by Krori and Borgohain are worst. But the third calculation doesn't seem to be wrong as it is just the result obtained by Maple with a flipped sign: this comes from the fact that one uses, for example, D'inverno's definition of Riemann tensor, but the other uses Weinberg's!

AB

Using my self-made GR package in Maple, I get the same result as Maple.

Are you sure this is an apples-apples comparison? E.g., in the ctensor package used with Maxima, which is what I'm familiar with, I believe it outputs [itex]G^i_j[/itex], not [itex]G_{ij}[/itex], and the order of indices on Christoffel symbols is also goofy. The order of indices on the Riemann tensor is not standardized at all in the literature.

a theoretical problem...

There is a theoretical problem, the Einstein_tensor used by Krori and Borgohain (1974) is the same Einstein_tensor used by J.R. Oppenheimer and G.M. Volkoff (1939) and R.C. Tolman (1939) and used to derive the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff (TOV) equation and is based upon an incorrect Einstein tensor.

Derivation of the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff (TOV) equation...

Einstein field equation:
[tex]\frac{8 \pi G}{c^4} T_{11} = G_{11}[/tex]

Tolman Einstein tensor: (ref. 2 - eq. 4)
[tex]G_{11} = e^{-\lambda} \left(\frac{\nu '}{r} + \frac{1}{r^2} \right) - \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

Integration via substitution:
[tex]\frac{8 \pi G}{c^4} T_{11} = e^{-\lambda} \left(\frac{\nu '}{r} + \frac{1}{r^2} \right) - \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

Differential Equation of State for hydrostatic equilibrium: (ref. 2 - eq. 6)
[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{(T_{11} + T_{00})}{2} \nu'[/tex]

[tex]\nu ' = - \frac{dP(r)}{dr} \left( \frac{2}{T_{11} + T_{00}} \right) = \frac{1}{r} \left( \frac{8 \pi G T_{11} r^2 e^{\lambda}}{c^4} + e^{\lambda } - 1 \right)[/tex]

Equation of State for hydrostatic equilibrium:
[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{\left( \left( e^{\lambda} - 1 \right) c^4 + e^{\lambda} 8 \pi G r^2 T_{11} \right) \left(T_{11} + T_{00} \right)}{2 c^4 r}[/tex]

Metric identity:
[tex]e^{\lambda} = \left (1 - \frac{r_s}{r} \right)^{-1}[/tex]

Metric identity:
[tex]\boxed{e^{\lambda} - 1 = \frac{r_s}{r - r_s}}[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = -\frac{ \left(r_s c^4 + 8 \pi G r^3 T_{11} \right) \left( T_{11} + T_{00} \right)}{2 c^4 r \left(r - r_s \right)}}[/tex]

Metric identity:
[tex]r (r - r_s) = r^2 \left( 1 - \frac{r_s}{r} \right)[/tex]

Stress-energy tensor:
[tex]T_{00} = \rho(r) c^2 \; \; \; T_{11} = P(r)[/tex]

Schwarzschild radius:
[tex]r_s = \frac{2 G M(r)}{c^2}[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = -\frac{ \left( P(r) + \rho(r) c^2 \right) \left(r_s c^4 + 8 \pi G r^3 P(r) \right) \left( 1 - \frac{r_s}{r} \right)^{-1}}{2 c^4 r^2}}[/tex]

Factoring out a [itex]c^2[/itex] from the first two numerator terms and a [itex]2 G[/itex] from one numerator term results in the TOV equation.

Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff (TOV) equation:
[tex]\boxed{\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{G}{r^2} \left[ \rho(r) + \frac{P(r)}{c^2} \right] \left[M(r) + 4 \pi r^3 \frac{P(r)}{c^2} \right] \left[1 - \frac{2GM(r)}{c^2r} \right]^{-1}}[/tex]

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolman%E2%80%93Oppenheimer%E2%80%93Volkoff_equation"

a theoretical problem...

Derivation of the Equation of State for hydrostatic equilibrium...

Einstein field equation:

Schwarzschild-Einstein tensor:
[tex]\boxed{G_{11} = \frac{- r \nu' + e^{\lambda} - 1}{r^2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{8 \pi G}{c^4} T_{11} = \frac{- r \nu' + e^{\lambda} - 1}{r^2}[/tex]

Differential Equation of State for hydrostatic equilibrium:
[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{(T_{11} + T_{00})}{2} \nu'[/tex]

[tex]\nu ' = - \frac{dP(r)}{dr} \left( \frac{2}{T_{11} + T_{00}} \right) = \frac{1}{r} \left( - \frac{8 \pi G T_{11} r^2}{c^4} + e^{\lambda} - 1 \right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = -\frac{\left((e^{\lambda} - 1)c^4 - 8 \pi G r^2 T_{11} \right) \left( T_{11} + T_{00} \right)}{2 c^4 r}[/tex]

Metric identity:

Metric identity:
[tex]\boxed{e^{\lambda} - 1 = \frac{r_s}{r - r_s}}[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{\left(\frac{c^4 r_s}{r - r_s} - 8 \pi G r^2 T_{11} \right)\left(T_{11} + T_{00} \right)}{2 c^4 r}}[/tex]

Stress-energy tensor:
[tex]T_{00} = \rho(r) c^2 \; \; \; T_{11} = P(r)[/tex]

Schwarzschild radius:

Factoring out [itex]2 G c^4[/itex] from the numerator results in the Equation of State for hydrostatic equilibrium equation.

[tex]\boxed{\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{G}{r} \left( P(r) + \rho(r) c^2 \right) \left( \frac{M(r)}{c^2 r - 2 G M(r)} - 4 \pi r^2 \frac{P(r)}{c^4} \right)}[/tex]

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolman%E2%80%93Oppenheimer%E2%80%93Volkoff_equation"

correct equation?...

Another theoretical problem is all my scientific astrophysics papers downloaded from the internet are based upon the Equation of State of neutron star models, and are all based upon the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff (TOV) equation, which is based upon an incorrect Einstein tensor.

[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{G}{r^2} \left[ \rho(r) + \frac{P(r)}{c^2} \right] \left[M(r) + 4 \pi r^3 \frac{P(r)}{c^2} \right] \left[1 - \frac{2GM(r)}{c^2r} \right]^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{G}{r} \left( P(r) + \rho(r) c^2 \right) \left( \frac{M(r)}{c^2 r - 2 G M(r)} - 4 \pi r^2 \frac{P(r)}{c^4} \right)[/tex]

Which equation is correct?

Last edited:

Orion1 said:

Another theoretical problem is all my scientific astrophysics papers downloaded from the internet are based upon the Equation of State of neutron star models, and are all based upon the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff (TOV) equation, which is based upon an incorrect Einstein tensor.

[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{G}{r^2} \left[ \rho(r) + \frac{P(r)}{c^2} \right] \left[M(r) + 4 \pi r^3 \frac{P(r)}{c^2} \right] \left[1 - \frac{2GM(r)}{c^2r} \right]^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{G}{r} \left( P(r) + \rho(r) c^2 \right) \left( \frac{M(r)}{c^2 r - 2 G M(r)} - 4 \pi r^2 \frac{P(r)}{c^4} \right)[/tex]

Which equation is correct?

It behooves one to do take into account that since something carries the names of famous physicists must always be correct is based upon the strong defective idea of "following wind leads certainly one to get the position" kind of stuff! Of course the TOV equation is incorrect because its G11 consists of two [tex]e^{\lambda}[/tex]-terms which as discussed earlier, is not true!

AB

Einstein Tensor package source code...

bcrowell said:
Are you sure this is an apples-apples comparison? E.g., in the ctensor package used with Maxima, which is what I'm familiar with, I believe it outputs [itex]G^i_j[/itex], not [itex]G_{ij}[/itex], and the order of indices on Christoffel symbols is also goofy. The order of indices on the Riemann tensor is not standardized at all in the literature.

I thought that both packages generated output as [tex]G^{Mathematica}_{ij} = G^{Maple}_{ij}[/tex].

I could not locate the source code for the Maple 'tensor' package.

I have posted the Mathematica 'Einstein Tensor' package source code at reference 1.

Reference:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2550925#post2550925"

bcrowell said:

True! If we reckon that Mathematica gives [tex]G^i_j[/tex] like that, a simple calculation would be able to verify this hypothesis:

[tex]G^1_1= g^{1i}G_{1i}=g^{11}G_{11} =-e^{-\lambda}\frac{ r{\nu}' - e^{\lambda} + 1}{r^2}=\frac{e^{-\lambda} (-r{\nu}'+ e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}[/tex].

Remember that Mathematica appears to have made use of the Ricci tensor [tex]R_{ab}=R^c_{acb}[/tex]. Since the Riemann tensor is antisymmetric in c and b, then a contraction of the form [tex]R_{ac}=R^b_{acb}[/tex] would lead to the Ricci tensor used by Maple which has a different sign. To put another way, [tex]G^{Mathematica}_{ij} = - G^{Maple}_{ij}[/tex].

AB

Last edited:
Mathematica Einstein tensor...

Mathematica Ricci tensor:
[tex]R_{ab} = R^c_{acb}[/tex]

Maple Ricci tensor:
[tex]R_{ac} = R^b_{acb}[/tex]

Package criteria:
[tex]R^{Mathematica} = -R^{Maple}[/tex]

[tex]G^{Mathematica}_{ij} = - G^{Maple}_{ij}[/tex]

The different signs are due to the use of different Ricci tensors.

Mathematica generated output:
[tex]G^1_1 = g^{1i}G_{1i}=g^{11}G_{11} = -e^{-\lambda}\frac{ r{\nu}' - e^{\lambda} + 1}{r^2} = \frac{e^{-\lambda} (-r{\nu}'+ e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}[/tex]

Maple generated output:

Reference:

Orion1 said:

[tex]G^1_1= g^{1i}G_{1i}=g^{11}G_{11} =-e^{-\lambda}\frac{ r{\nu}' - e^{\lambda} + 1}{r^2}=\frac{e^{-\lambda} (-r{\nu}'+ e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]G^{Mathematica}_{ij} = - G^{Maple}_{ij}[/tex]

If this is true then the Mathematica [itex]G_{ij}[/itex] has a correct mathematical output with an incorrect sign.

The solution should be:
[tex]G^1_1= g^{1i}G_{1i} = g^{11}G_{11} = - \frac{e^{- \lambda} (-r {\nu}' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]G^{Mathematica}_{ij} = G^{Maple}_{ij}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Reference:

No, it is not! From

[tex]g^{11}=-e^{- \lambda}[/tex] and
[tex]G^{Mathematica}_{ij} = -G^{Maple}_{ij}=-\frac{- r{\nu}'+ e^{\lambda} - 1}{r^2}=\frac{ r{\nu}'- e^{\lambda} + 1}{r^2},[/tex]

one would get

[tex](G^1_1)^{Mathematica}=\frac{e^{-\lambda} (-r{\nu}'+ e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}[/tex]

which shows exactly the same equation for Mathematica's G11 you wrote in your first post in this thread!

AB

[tex]G^1_1 = g^{1i}G_{1i} = g^{11} G^{Mathematica}_{11} = (- e^{- \lambda} ) \left( \frac{ r{\nu}' - e^{\lambda} + 1}{r^2} \right) = \frac{e^{- \lambda} (- r \nu' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{G^1_1 = \frac{e^{- \lambda} (- r \nu' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}}[/tex]

Is this the correct solution for [tex]G^1_1[/tex]?

According to reference 1 equation series 8, the [tex]G^1_1[/tex] is:
[tex]G^1_1 = r^{-1} e^{- \lambda} \nu' - r^{-2} e^{- \lambda} + r^{-2} = \frac{e^{- \lambda} r {\nu}' - e^{- \lambda} + 1}{r^2} = \frac{e^{- \lambda} (r {\nu}' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}}[/tex]

[tex]G^1_1 = \frac{e^{- \lambda} (r {\nu}' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}}[/tex]

Reference:

Orion1 said:

Is this the correct solution for [tex]G^1_1[/tex]?

[tex]G^1_1 = g^{1i}G_{1i} = g^{11} G^{Mathematica}_{11} = (- e^{- \lambda} ) \left( \frac{ r{\nu}' - e^{\lambda} + 1}{r^2} \right) = \frac{e^{- \lambda} (- r \nu' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{G^1_1 = \frac{e^{- \lambda} (- r \nu' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}}[/tex]

According to reference 1 equation series 8, the [tex]G^1_1[/tex] is:
[tex]G^1_1 = r^{-1} e^{- \lambda} \nu' - r^{-2} e^{- \lambda} + r^{-2} = \frac{e^{- \lambda} r {\nu}' - e^{- \lambda} + 1}{r^2} = \frac{e^{- \lambda} (r {\nu}' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}}[/tex]

[tex]G^1_1 = \frac{e^{- \lambda} (r {\nu}' + e^{\lambda} - 1)}{r^2}}[/tex]

Reference:

Both are correct! As I said before, this unimportant difference comes from the definition of Ricci tensor. One uses [tex]R_{ab}=R^c_{acb}[/tex] and other makes use of [tex]R_{ac}=R^b_{acb}[/tex]. Remember that this affects R (the scalar curvature), too! So [tex]R^{Maple}=-R^{Mathematica}[/tex].

AB

Oppenheimer-Volkoff equation...

Schwarzschild metric:
[tex]c^{2} d\tau^{2} = e^{\nu} c^2 dt^{2} - e^{\lambda} dr^{2} - r^2 d\theta^{2} - r^2 \sin^2 \theta d\phi^2[/tex]

Derivation of the Oppenheimer-Volkoff equation (O-V)...

Stress-energy tensor Schwarzschild field hydrostatic density: (ref. 1 - pg. 255 - eq. 10.20)
[tex]T_{00} = \rho(r) c^2 g_{00} = \rho(r) e^{\nu} c^4[/tex]

Stress-energy tensor Schwarzschild field hydrostatic pressure: (ref. 1 - pg. 255 - eq. 10.21)
[tex]T_{11} = P(r) g_{11} = - P(r) e^{\lambda}[/tex]

Where [tex]\rho(r)[/tex] is the fluid density and [tex]P(r)[/tex] is the fluid pressure.

Schwarzschild-Einstein tensor: (ref. 1 - pg. 255 - eq. 10.15)

Einstein field equation:

[tex]- \frac{8 \pi G}{c^4} P(r) e^{\lambda} = \frac{- r \nu' + e^{\lambda} - 1}{r^2}[/tex]

Differential Equation of State for hydrostatic equilibrium:
[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \left( \frac{T_{00} g^{00} + T_{11} g^{11}}{2} \right) \nu' = - \left( \frac{\rho(r) c^2 + P(r)}{2} \right) \nu'[/tex]

[tex]\nu' = - \frac{dP(r)}{dr} \left( \frac{2}{\rho(r) c^2 + P(r)} \right) = \frac{1}{r} \left( \frac{8 \pi G r^2 e^{\lambda} P(r)}{c^4} + e^{\lambda} - 1 \right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = -\frac{ \left( \rho(r) c^2 + P(r) \right) \left((e^{\lambda} - 1)c^4 + 8 \pi G r^2 e^{\lambda} P(r) \right)}{2 c^4 r}[/tex]

Metric identity:

Metric identity:
[tex]e^{\lambda} - 1 = \frac{r_s}{r - r_s}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{ \left( \rho(r) c^2 + P(r) \right) \left(c^4 r_s + 8 \pi G r^3 P(r) \right)}{2 c^4 r \left(r - r_s \right)}[/tex]

Schwarzschild radius:

Factoring out a [itex]2 G c^2[/itex] from one numerator term results in the Oppenheimer-Volkoff equation.

Oppenheimer-Volkoff equation:
[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{G \left( \rho(r) c^2 + P(r) \right) \left(M(r) + 4 \pi r^3 \frac{P(r)}{c^2} \right)}{r \left(c^2 r - 2 G M(r) \right)}[/tex]

Oppenheimer-Volkoff equation (O-V): (ref. 1 - pg. 255 - eq. 10.21)
[tex]\frac{dP}{dr} = - \frac{( \rho + P)(m + 4 \pi r^3 P)}{r(r - 2m)}[/tex]

Metric identity:
[tex]r (r - r_s) = r^2 \left( 1 - \frac{r_s}{r} \right)[/tex]

Factoring out a [itex]c^2[/itex] from the numerator and integrating the metric identity via substitution results in the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff equation.

Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff equation:
[tex]\frac{dP(r)}{dr} = - \frac{G}{r^2} \left( \rho(r) + \frac{P(r)}{c^2} \right) \left(M(r) + 4 \pi r^3 \frac{P(r)}{c^2} \right) \left( 1 - \frac{2 G M(r)}{c^2 r} \right)^{-1}[/tex]

Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff (TOV) equation: (ref. 2)

Are these equations correct?

Reference:
http://books.google.com/books?id=qhDFuWbLlgQC&lpg=PP1&dq=schutz&pg=PA255#v=onepage&q=&f=false"

1. What is the purpose of comparing G_{11} solutions in Maple, Mathematica, and References 1-4?

The purpose of this comparison is to determine the accuracy and efficiency of the solutions provided by different mathematical software programs, as well as to identify any discrepancies or limitations in the solutions.

2. How were the solutions in Maple, Mathematica, and References 1-4 obtained?

The solutions were obtained by inputting the same initial conditions and equations into each program, and then comparing the resulting solutions.

3. What are the main differences between the solutions generated by Maple, Mathematica, and References 1-4?

The main differences may include variations in the numerical values, the formatting of the solutions, and the methods used to obtain the solutions. These differences can help determine the strengths and weaknesses of each program.

4. Which program is the most accurate in generating G_{11} solutions?

It is difficult to determine which program is the most accurate without further analysis. Each program may have its own strengths and limitations, and the accuracy may also depend on the specific equations and initial conditions used.

5. How can this comparison of G_{11} solutions be useful in scientific research?

This comparison can provide valuable insights into the capabilities of different mathematical software programs, and can help researchers choose the most appropriate program for their specific needs. It can also help identify any discrepancies or limitations in the solutions, which can guide future developments in mathematical software.