Given Vector, Find Unit Vector

In summary, To find a unit vector in the direction of a given vector, divide the vector by its magnitude or length. In this case, the magnitude of vector v is 5, so the unit vector u would be <3/5, -4/5> or 3/5 i - 4/5 j.
huntingrdr

Homework Statement

Given vector v = <3, -4>, find a unit vector u in the direction of vector v. Give your answer for u as
u = <a, b>
and
u = ai + bj

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I use y2-y1 and x2-x1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to find the length of a vector? If so, use the fact that any vector divided by its length will have a length of 1 (i.e., it will be a unit vector).

A unit vector is given by a vector divided by its magnitude. To find a vector's magnitude, or length, use v=sqrt[x^2+y+2].

OK, so I got the magnitude of the vector to be 5. So does that mean the answer would be 3/5 i - 4/5 j and <3/5 , -4/5>

That's it!

Thanks!

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length that represents its magnitude.

2. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is used to indicate a specific direction. It is often represented by a hat symbol (â) above the vector, such as âx or ây.

3. How do you find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, you need to divide each component of the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with a magnitude of 1, representing the direction of the original vector.

4. Why is finding the unit vector important?

Finding the unit vector is important because it allows us to simplify calculations involving vectors. By using unit vectors, we can focus on the direction of the vector without worrying about its magnitude, making calculations easier and more efficient. It also helps in visualizing and understanding vector operations.

5. Can a zero vector have a unit vector?

No, a zero vector (a vector with a magnitude of 0) does not have a unit vector. This is because division by zero is undefined, so it is not possible to find a unit vector for a zero vector.