Gaint Cursor in JavaScript, Framing Pandora (for visually impaired user)

• Java
  • Thread starter k_squared
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Javascript
In summary, the conversation is about creating a web page with a large cursor in JavaScript to help someone with low vision. The person asking for help has experience in C++ but not Java. They are also wondering if it is possible to 'emulate' clicks for flash in a browser. They mention using GreaseMonkey and potentially creating their own interface with larger text. Another person suggests lowering the screen resolution as an alternative solution.
k_squared
My brother is low vision and I wanted to create a web page on our local computer that will use a large cursor in JavaScript (I've heard this is possible) while being a frame around the pandora radio website, to make is easier for him to see the cursor. Alas, most of my programming experience happens to be in C++, and I know little of Java. Does anyone happen to be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Also, I know in windows it is possible to 'emulate' clicks by knowing the winproc handler (or something like that) for each object. Is it possible to do that for flash in a browser? Then, maybe I could create our OWN interface with much larger text than Pandora radio uses.

Technology news on Phys.org
k_squared said:
My brother is low vision and I wanted to create a web page on our local computer that will use a large cursor in JavaScript (I've heard this is possible) while being a frame around the pandora radio website, to make is easier for him to see the cursor.

Ok... which cursor are you talking about? If you're talking about the one that comes up in the Flash window, JavaScript won't help. It also won't help if you mean the cursor in the address bar or search bar of the browser. In theory, you could affect any DHTML content, although you'd have to have it execute when the page was loaded, meaning you'd need to use something like GreaseMonkey (and a browser that supported it). But it looks like Pandora's pretty much just Flash.

k_squared said:
maybe I could create our OWN interface with much larger text than Pandora radio uses.

Could you just lower the screen resolution, resulting in larger everything?

DaveE

1. What is a Giant Cursor in JavaScript?

A Giant Cursor in JavaScript is a cursor that has been specifically designed to be larger in size than a standard cursor. It is often used to improve accessibility for users with visual impairments, as it makes it easier for them to see and interact with the cursor on their screen.

2. How does a Giant Cursor work?

A Giant Cursor is created using JavaScript code that modifies the default properties of a cursor. This can include changing the cursor's size, shape, color, and movement. The code is typically added to a website or application and is triggered when the user hovers over an element with their mouse.

3. Can a Giant Cursor be used by all users?

Yes, a Giant Cursor can be used by all users, but it is primarily designed for those with visual impairments. However, it can also be helpful for users with motor control issues or those who struggle to see smaller objects on their screen.

4. What is the purpose of Framing Pandora for visually impaired users?

Framing Pandora is a feature that allows visually impaired users to customize their viewing experience on the Pandora music streaming platform. It provides options such as larger font sizes, high-contrast colors, and screen reader compatibility, making it easier for users with visual impairments to navigate and use the platform.

5. How can I implement Giant Cursor and Framing Pandora on my website?

You can implement Giant Cursor and Framing Pandora on your website by using JavaScript code and following accessibility guidelines. There are also pre-made scripts and tools available that can help with the implementation process. It is important to regularly test and update these features to ensure they are functioning properly and meeting the needs of visually impaired users.