Calculate Shear Stress & Force in Beam for V=125kN

In summary, the conversation discussed determining the maximum, minimum, and average shear stress, as well as the shear force in a web. The equations used were the moment of inertia, max shear stress, min shear stress, avg shear stress, and Vweb. The example used these equations in the web, but it was noted that it mainly involved plugging in numbers rather than understanding the formula.
joemama69

Homework Statement

Determine the Max, Min & average shear stress, and the shear force in web

V = 125kN

Note th attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the Moment of Inertia

I = (1/12)(bh3 - bh13 + th13) = 3.43X10-4 m4

Max Shear Stress = (Vb/8It)(bh2 - bh12 + th12) = 28.4MPa

Min Shear Stress = (V/8It)(h2 - h12) = 21.9MPa

Avg Shear Stress = (V/th1) = 27.4MPa

Vweb = (th1/3)(2[tex]\tau[/tex]max + [tex]\tau[/tex]min) = 119.6 kN

Did I use all the correct equation. The example uses these equations but says they are in the web.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    12.5 KB · Views: 312
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess if you are just using some given formulas ( corrected for typo errorrs) for max, min, avg shear stresses in a web and plugging in numbers, then there's not much I can say. Far better to understand the shear stress formula using the first moment of area Q. Otherwise it's just plug and chug.

1. How do you calculate shear stress in a beam?

Shear stress in a beam can be calculated by dividing the shear force by the cross-sectional area of the beam. The formula for shear stress is τ = V/A, where τ is the shear stress, V is the shear force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the beam.

2. What is the formula for calculating shear force in a beam?

The formula for calculating shear force in a beam is V = Q/L, where V is the shear force, Q is the total distributed load on the beam, and L is the length of the beam. This formula assumes that the distributed load is constant along the length of the beam.

3. How do you determine the cross-sectional area of a beam?

The cross-sectional area of a beam can be determined by multiplying the width of the beam by its height. If the beam has a non-uniform cross-section, the area can be calculated by dividing the beam into smaller sections and summing the individual cross-sectional areas.

4. What is the unit of measurement for shear stress and shear force?

The unit of measurement for shear stress is typically expressed in pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa). The unit for shear force is usually pounds (lb) or newtons (N).

5. Can you calculate shear stress and force for any type of beam?

Yes, the formulas for calculating shear stress and force can be applied to any type of beam, including I-beams, H-beams, and rectangular beams. However, the specific values for shear stress and force may vary depending on the beam's cross-sectional area, length, and load distribution.