A book on Einstein's theories of relativity

In summary, this book is a good introduction to the theory of relativity, with a focus on the physical concepts behind the calculations.
jackson6612
Hi

I'm not a science student neither of mathematics. I have a understanding of mathematics and physics topics up to high school - calculus etc.

I was thinking of learning about relativity which is quite contrary to common sense, for fellows like me. I was look at this https://www.amazon.com/dp/0520200292/?tag=pfamazon01-20 which had received good reviews. Do you have any comments on this one? Would you like to like to suggest any other title? I don't like those science books which are more on the line to teach you how to calculate things rather the meaning behind those calculations. I need a book which can help me to reconcile the contrariness of relativity with general understanding. I'm looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks, in advance.

Best wishes
Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, you may not have noticed that we have a forum specifically for discussing and comparing books. I've moved this thread there. While waiting for further responses, you might like to try the "Search this forum" option with the word "relativity" to see what other threads have been made in the past. (You'll have to go to the list of threads in this forum in order to see this option.)

Try space time physics by wheeler and taylor

The Einstein Theory of Relativity by Lillian Lieber is a fun and informative book, complete with illustrations from her husband.

N. David Mermin, It's About Time.

Thanks, everyone.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that I don't really want a book which is completely devoid of mathematics. The one which explains everything to bridge the gap between common understanding of the world and how the theories approach... I have seen books which rather try to explain things in terms of mathematics without caring to explain what's the logical reason behind. I won't mind if it is 500 pages plus book. All I want is a a kind of all-in-one book. Let me remind you again I have, you can say, good understanding of math and physics up to high school level - calculus etc.

Thanks, in advance.

The Einstein Theory of Relativity by Lillian Lieber is excellent!

VeeEight said:
The Einstein Theory of Relativity by Lillian Lieber is a fun and informative book, complete with illustrations from her husband.

Hi Vee

Have you read it yourself? Does she explain the mathematics, or abstain from it altogether?

Thanks
Jack

I've read Lieber's book and it's a true pearl. It gives also an introduction to tensors and covariant differentiation. It focuses on the true basics fundamental concepts of the theory and explains the physical meaning of calculations.

Gold, thanks for the information.

Best wishes
Jack

jackson6612 said:
Hi Vee

Have you read it yourself? Does she explain the mathematics, or abstain from it altogether?

Thanks
Jack

Hi Jack. Yes I've read it, Goldbeetle describes it perfectly. I don't think it is commonly available at libraries, I bought it on a whim, but it is a good book to read and re-read. Worth my money.

Hi

Sorry for bothering you again. Actually I wanted to know if this recommended book start to develop the theories from scratch, or just like other books impose things on you. Does the author follow natural line of reasoning like first discussing Newtonian picture of motion and discussing its flaws which perhaps provoked, invited Einstein to think in a revolutionary way? Thanks, in advance.

Yes, it starts from galilean relativity.

Gold, thanks a lot for confirming this.

DX, thanks for your recommendation.

Liber's book has math. Order it through your library and check. I think it's excellent.

Gold, what is the level of math used? I can make sense of simple calculus and simple physics. I don't have that much problem with math but I hate those science books which use math to explain everything, doing it they simply evade many points.

If you know what a partial derivative is and what a matrix is, you should be able to follow. The tensor calculus needed for the general theory is introduced and explained very, very well. I recommend this book because it focuses on the very basic physical and mathematical ideas and no more, without hand-waving but in a reader friendly manner.

i have a question regarding the same book i mentioned above:

i managed to find the book online on Amazon.com but there are two books with kind of the same title by the same author and I am confused as to which one is the right one. can you help me please as to which one i should purchase from these two or should i purchase both?

links to the two books are:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1406765236/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1589880447/?tag=pfamazon01-20also are there any other good books by this author worth purchasing?

blank.black said:
i have a question regarding the same book i mentioned above:

i managed to find the book online on Amazon.com but there are two books with kind of the same title by the same author and I am confused as to which one is the right one. can you help me please as to which one i should purchase from these two or should i purchase both?

links to the two books are:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1406765236/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1589880447/?tag=pfamazon01-20

also are there any other good books by this author worth purchasing?
They are the same book, the cheaper one is a recent reprint. I cannot imagine anyone reading this book and not falling in love with it.

Thank you Jimmy.

I would buy the most recent edition because it was revised, some notes were added and the bibliographical references were updated!

1. What are Einstein's theories of relativity?

Einstein's theories of relativity refer to two major theories: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. The special theory deals with the relationship between space and time, while the general theory explains the relationship between gravity and mass.

2. Why are Einstein's theories of relativity important?

Einstein's theories of relativity revolutionized our understanding of the physical universe and have had a significant impact on modern physics. They have helped us understand concepts such as space, time, gravity, and the behavior of objects at high speeds.

3. How did Einstein come up with his theories of relativity?

Einstein developed his theories of relativity through a combination of thought experiments, mathematical equations, and observations. He questioned and challenged existing theories, leading him to develop his groundbreaking theories.

4. Can anyone understand Einstein's theories of relativity?

While Einstein's theories of relativity may seem complicated, they can be understood by anyone with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. There are many resources available, such as books and online lectures, to help explain these theories in a more accessible way.

5. How have Einstein's theories of relativity been proven?

Einstein's theories of relativity have been extensively tested and have been proven to be accurate through various experiments and observations. For example, the general theory of relativity predicted the bending of light by massive objects, which was later observed during a solar eclipse. Additionally, the special theory of relativity has been confirmed through experiments involving high-speed particles.