What are the strengths of popular calculus books for self-study?

In summary, the conversation discusses various calculus textbooks, with a focus on self-study. The recommended books include Spivak, Stewart, Larson, Simmons, Courant and Fritz. Spivak's book is praised for its elegant and rigorous presentation, while avoiding the pitfalls of being too mechanical or dumbed down. However, it is noted that no single book can fully internalize mathematical concepts and it is important to supplement with other resources. A helpful resource for finding more information on these books is suggested.
Kalvin0
There are a lot of calculus books I've heard around these forums, namely Spavik, Stewart, Apostol, and Thomas. Can any direct me to each books strengths towards self study? I don't mind one with a decent amount of theory, in fact, I welcome it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stewart, Larson, Simmons, etc. I have worked through copies of Apostol and Spivak but am always disheartened by the difficulty of the problems, so I go back to the other books.

I like Calculus by Michael Spivak. After it get the Courant and Fritz copies of Introduction to Calculus and Analysis.

Spivak's book is by far my favourite. He conveys the subject elegantly yet rigorously, while maintaining his writing in a way that tells a definitive "story" of analysis. I find that mathematical texts fall into to general categories: Dictionary style, with theorem after theorem, and a very mechanical structure and tone to the writing (see Stephen Friedberg's "Linear Algebra"); or a less rigorous colloquial style, sort of like a high-school textbook where the material is "dumbed down" for supposed "ease of learning" (see Randall Knight's "Physics for Scientists and Engineers"). Spivak's book manages to avoid both of these categories. He also manages to subtly poke fun at several formalities that mathematicians like to uphold, which I thought was nice touch.
The problems are hard but very insightful. Keep in mind however, that to really learn mathematics you must internalize it, and no one exposition can do that for you. Even Spivak's book has some gray areas (particularly his treatment of sequences and series), so arm yourself with one good book to focus on, and several other minor resources that can help clarify ideas and build upon your intuition.

Last edited:

Question 1: What is the best calculus book for self-study?

The best calculus book for self-study will depend on your individual learning style and goals. Some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson.

Question 2: Do I need any prior knowledge to study calculus on my own?

While it may be helpful to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, most calculus books for self-study assume no prior knowledge and start from the basics.

Question 3: How long does it typically take to complete a calculus book for self-study?

The time it takes to complete a calculus book for self-study will vary depending on your pace and dedication. However, it is recommended to spend at least a few months to fully grasp the concepts and complete all practice problems.

Question 4: Are there any online resources that can supplement my self-study of calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare that offer free lectures and practice problems to supplement your self-study of calculus.

Question 5: Can I learn calculus on my own without a teacher or tutor?

Yes, it is possible to learn calculus on your own with a good textbook, determination, and plenty of practice problems. However, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in clarifying difficult concepts and providing additional guidance.