Electric dipole in an electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses an electric dipole in a uniform electric field undergoing simple harmonic motion. The frequency of the motion is given by a formula with variables related to the dipole's mass, charge, electric field, and displacement from the horizontal. There is a discrepancy in the given formula, as it applies to a free dipole while the solution is for a dipole rotating around a fixed axis. Clarification is needed on the situation in which the dipole is rotating.
vladimir69

Homework Statement

An electric dipole (something that has charge +q on one end and charge -q on the other end separated by a distance 2a) is in a uniform horizontal electric field of magnitude E. Initially the electric dipole is aligned horizontally until it is displaced slightly by an angle theta from the horizontal. Show that the electric dipole undergoes simple harmonic motion with frequency given by
[tex]f=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{(m_{1}+m_{2})qE}{2m_{1}m_{2}a}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]I\alpha=\tau_{net}[/tex]
[tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex]
[tex]F=qE[/tex]
[tex]\theta(t)=A\cos(\omega t)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I got
[tex]I=(m_{1}+m_{2})a^2[/tex]
[tex](m_{1}+m_{2})a^2\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}\approx 2aqE\theta[/tex]
and the frequency I get pops out as
[tex]f=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{2qE}{(m_{1}+m_{2})a}}[/tex]
Can't see where I have gone wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
See the units: the given formula can not be correct. Yours is all right.

ehild

I thought the units were ok in both the equations

Yes, you are right, I misread the formula somehow...

The question is if the dipole rotates around a fixed axis through its centre, so both masses are at a distance "a" from the axis of rotation or it is free and then it rotates around its CM.
In case of the first situation, your formula is right. The formula given by your book is valid for the free dipole. In this case you need the moment of inertia with respect to the CM.

ehild

Ok I see now, thanks for your help.

What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. It is characterized by a positive and negative charge, also known as a positive and negative pole, with a dipole moment pointing from the negative to the positive charge.

How does an electric dipole behave in an electric field?

When placed in an electric field, an electric dipole experiences a torque or turning force. This torque is caused by the interaction between the dipole's electric moment and the electric field. The dipole will align itself with the direction of the electric field, with the negative pole pointing towards the positive direction of the field and the positive pole pointing towards the negative direction of the field.

What is the formula for calculating the electric dipole moment?

The electric dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of one of the charges by the distance between the two charges. The formula is represented as: p = qd, where p is the dipole moment, q is the magnitude of the charge, and d is the distance between the two charges.

What are some real-life examples of electric dipoles?

Some common examples of electric dipoles include water molecules, which have a slight positive charge on one end and a slight negative charge on the other end; magnets, which have a north and south pole; and batteries, which have a positive and negative terminal.

How does the strength of an electric dipole in an electric field change with distance?

The strength of an electric dipole in an electric field decreases as the distance between the two charges increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, and the torque experienced by the dipole is directly proportional to the electric field strength. Therefore, the farther apart the charges are, the weaker the dipole moment will be.