Third Order DE Using Complex Exponential

In summary, the student is attempting to find three different solutions to a differential equation using complex exponentials, but is having trouble expressing the answers in real form. The student has found the following solutions: 1, e^(i*0), and e^(i*1). The last post mentioned that the student should keep in mind the following relationships in order to solve for r: \cos \theta = \frac{e^{i \theta} + e^{- i \theta} }{2} \sin \theta = \frac{ e^{i \theta} - e^{-i \theta
Phyzeeks

Homework Statement

find three independent solutions using complex exponentials, but express answer in real form.
d^3(f(t))/dt^3 - f(t) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

after taking the derivative of z = Ce^(rt) three times
I put it in the following form:

Ce^(rt)(r^3 -1) = 0

and solved for r:

r^3 = 1
1 = e^(i*0)
and so
r = e^(i*0) = 1

1 is one of the solutions right? but I don't understand how it's possible to find 3 independent solutions to that differential equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
What other complex numbers are there which satisfy r^3=1?

is it e^(i*0) , e^(i*2pi/3) and e^(i*4pi/3)?

Yes.

You could also find the other roots by factoring: r3-1 = (r-1)(r2+r+1)

oh right, thank you very much for your help and also this is still in the complex exponential form right? I need to put them into real form, do i do this by e^ix = Re{cosx + isinx}?

Phyzeeks said:
oh right, thank you very much for your help and also this is still in the complex exponential form right? I need to put them into real form, do i do this by e^ix = Re{cosx + isinx}?
Gah! Don't do that. :smile:

If there are multiple solutions to a linear differential equation, then any linear combination (i.e. sum, subtraction, constant scaling) of those solutions is also a solution to the differential equation. For example if the differential equation is

[tex] \dddot f(t) = f(t) [/tex]

and two of those solutions are g(t) and h(t), then (C1g(t) + C2h(t)) is also a solution.

(Hint: you're on the right track with sines and cosines. But just don't take the Real part all willy nilly. Sin(θ) can be expressed as a linear combination of complex exponentials [and nowhere do you explicitly need to take the "Re{}" of anything]. Cos(θ) can be expressed by a different linear combination of complex exponentials. Find these relationships, and you should be finish the problem without too much trouble.)

Last edited:
Oh so since the solutions are e^(i*0), e^(i*(3pi/2) and e^(i*(3pi/4) then i just take the linear combinations of the cos and sin by adding and subtracting the equations in the form e^ix = cosx + isinx,
then i would end up with three solutions in the form of cos and sines right?

Go back to Vela's last post. That post about the roots of r are important.

With that, keep my last post in mind, and memorize the following:

[tex] \cos \theta = \frac{e^{i \theta} + e^{- i \theta} }{2} [/tex] [tex] \sin \theta = \frac{ e^{i \theta} - e^{-i \theta} }{2i} [/tex]

These are are relationships worth memorizing, or at least recognizing, and at least keeping in your back pocket such that you can recognize when they come up. If you continue advanced physics, these relationships will come up quite a bit and it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep these relationships handy.

For this particular problem, these relationships will help with putting two of the three relationships in real form. For the third, go back to Vela's post involving solving for r.

[Edit you can check the above relationships noting that [itex] e^{i \phi} = \cos \phi + i \sin \phi [/tex], along with noting that [itex] \cos (- \phi) = \cos \phi [/itex] and [itex] \sin (-\phi) = -\sin \phi [/itex].]

Last edited:

What is a Third Order DE using Complex Exponential?

A Third Order Differential Equation (DE) using Complex Exponential is a type of mathematical model that describes the relationships between a function and its derivatives up to the third order. It involves the use of complex exponential functions, which are mathematical expressions in the form of e^(ax), where a is a real or complex number.

What are some applications of Third Order DE using Complex Exponential?

Third Order DE using Complex Exponential has various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It can be used to model oscillatory systems, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and quantum mechanics.

What is the process for solving Third Order DE using Complex Exponential?

The process for solving Third Order DE using Complex Exponential involves finding the general solution by using the characteristic equation, which is a polynomial equation that involves the coefficients of the DE. The roots of this equation will determine the form of the solution, which can be a combination of real and complex exponential functions.

What are the challenges of solving Third Order DE using Complex Exponential?

One of the main challenges of solving Third Order DE using Complex Exponential is finding the initial conditions, which are the values of the function and its first two derivatives at a given point. These conditions are needed to determine the constants in the general solution. Additionally, the complex nature of the exponential functions can make the calculations more complex and time-consuming.

What are some alternative methods for solving Third Order DE using Complex Exponential?

Some alternative methods for solving Third Order DE using Complex Exponential include using Laplace transforms, which can simplify the calculations, and using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods are useful for solving more complex or non-linear DEs, but they may not provide an exact solution.