Rotating mass in vehicle drivetrain ?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a formula to determine power loss in a system with a motor and drivetrain. The suggestion is to set up software or hardware to measure fuel consumption and acceleration, and use the energy density of gasoline to calculate the waste. The speaker plans to work on it and find a matching formula using a spreadsheet.
jgoff14
I need help coming up with a formula for the following: If you have a source of power like from a motor that is coupled to a drivetrain such as what you would find in a car then what would be required to determine how much power is lost to the system? Not talking about basic physics with no external forces... ie calculating power loss from the motor to the wheel taking into account losses for the drive shaft, transmission, the fact that they are rotating, friction the rubber of the tire as it is in contact with the surface... I have access to all the information I need variable wise, just need help with the formula. Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are so many factors that you will invariably miss a few. 1 good way to do this would be...

Set up software and/or hardware to measure fuel consumption and acceleration. The energy density of gasoline is known (google it), the acceleration along with the mass of the vehicle will tell you how much of the energy makes it into the k.e. of the vehicle. The difference between the 2 is the waste. It will be different at different speeds, throttle openings, inclines, air temperatures, etc. Plug all your data into a spread sheet and find a formula that matches.

Thanks I really have nothing better to do so I will get on it! lol

What is rotating mass in a vehicle drivetrain?

Rotating mass in a vehicle drivetrain refers to the components of the drivetrain that spin or rotate while the vehicle is in motion. This includes the engine, transmission, driveshaft, wheels, and other mechanical parts.

Why is rotating mass important in a vehicle drivetrain?

Rotating mass plays a crucial role in the performance and efficiency of a vehicle. The heavier the rotating mass, the more energy is required to move it, resulting in decreased acceleration and increased fuel consumption. On the other hand, reducing rotating mass can improve a vehicle's handling and overall performance.

How can rotating mass be reduced in a vehicle drivetrain?

Rotating mass can be reduced by using lightweight materials for the components, such as aluminum or carbon fiber. Additionally, using smaller components or eliminating unnecessary parts can also help reduce rotating mass.

What are the effects of rotating mass on a vehicle's drivetrain?

Excessive rotating mass can cause strain on the drivetrain, leading to premature wear and tear on the components. It can also result in decreased fuel efficiency and performance, as well as increased emissions.

How does rotating mass affect a vehicle's handling?

The amount and distribution of rotating mass can significantly impact a vehicle's handling. A higher rotating mass in the front of the vehicle can result in understeer, while a higher rotating mass in the rear can lead to oversteer. Balancing the rotating mass is essential for optimal handling and stability.