Calculating dd.mm.ss from Vertical Aerial Photograph: Help Needed

• Thread starter Arlie
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker needs help calculating the coordinates in degrees, minutes, and seconds for each corner of a 9" X 9" square vertical aerial photograph. They have the coordinate of the center, the heading, and the scale of the imagery, and the distance from the center to one corner is 5.8". The center coordinate is given as 39-27-30N 077-58-15W and the heading is 27 degrees with a scale of 1" = 1000". The speaker expresses gratitude for any assistance.
Arlie
I need some guidance with the following task.

I have a vertical aerial photograph that is 9" X 9" square. I have the coordinate of the center of the image, and the heading, and I know the scale of the imagery. What I need to do is calculate what the coordinate is of each corner of the photo in degrees, minutes, and seconds.
The coordinate of the center is

Any help would be much appreciated.
Arlie

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I did not complete the last sentence.
The coordinate of the center is 39-27-30N 077-58-15W
The heading is 27 degrees
The scale of the photography is 1" = 1000"
The distance on the photograph from the center to one corner is 5.8"

Thanks
Arlie

Calculating the degrees, minutes, and seconds from a vertical aerial photograph can be a bit tricky, but with the information you have provided, it is definitely possible. Firstly, you will need to determine the scale of the photograph in order to accurately calculate the coordinates of each corner. The scale will help you convert the measurements on the photograph to real-world coordinates.

Next, you will need to use the heading and the coordinate of the center to determine the direction in which the photograph was taken. This information, along with the scale, will help you calculate the distance from the center to each corner of the photograph.

Once you have the distance, you can use trigonometry to calculate the angles at each corner. From there, you can convert the angles to degrees, minutes, and seconds to get the coordinates of each corner.

It may also be helpful to use a protractor or a compass to help with the calculations. You can also consult with a professional or do some online research for more specific instructions and examples.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Good luck with your task!

1. How do I calculate dd.mm.ss from a vertical aerial photograph?

To calculate dd.mm.ss from a vertical aerial photograph, you will need to use photogrammetry techniques. This involves measuring the distance between known points on the photograph and using trigonometry to determine the angles and distances needed to calculate the coordinates. There are also software programs available that can assist with this process.

2. What equipment do I need to calculate dd.mm.ss from a vertical aerial photograph?

To accurately calculate dd.mm.ss from a vertical aerial photograph, you will need a measuring tape, protractor, and a calculator. You may also need a scale ruler and specialized photogrammetry software depending on the complexity of the photograph.

3. Can I use a vertical aerial photograph to calculate dd.mm.ss in any location?

Yes, you can use a vertical aerial photograph to calculate dd.mm.ss in any location as long as you have the necessary equipment and knowledge of photogrammetry techniques. However, the accuracy of the coordinates may vary depending on the quality of the photograph and the complexity of the terrain.

4. How accurate are the dd.mm.ss coordinates calculated from a vertical aerial photograph?

The accuracy of the dd.mm.ss coordinates calculated from a vertical aerial photograph can vary depending on the quality of the photograph, the precision of the measurements, and the complexity of the terrain. Generally, the accuracy can range from a few meters to several centimeters.

5. Are there any limitations to using a vertical aerial photograph to calculate dd.mm.ss?

One limitation of using a vertical aerial photograph to calculate dd.mm.ss is that it may not be suitable for all types of terrain, such as areas with dense vegetation or steep slopes. Additionally, the accuracy of the coordinates may be affected by factors such as atmospheric conditions and camera distortion.