Master`s Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK

In summary, the speaker is a student studying manufacturing engineering at Warsaw University of Technology and is considering pursuing a master's degree in the UK to gain exposure to different cultures and practical education. They are specifically looking for universities with a high emphasis on lab, project, and design classes. They have experience in various subjects related to manufacturing and are wondering how the curriculum for a master's degree in the UK differs and if there is anything they should learn beforehand. The speaker suggests looking into former polytechnics such as Brighton or Coventry, as well as work-based learning courses tailored to individual needs. They also recommend reaching out to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers for a list of accredited institutions.
Eclipt
Hi. Currently I`m studying manufacturing engineering at Warsaw University of Technology at bachelor`s degree level. After that, I`m considering continuing to master`s degree, but outside of my home country. Since English is the only foreign language i know, I`ve chosen UK.

My main goal in studying abroad is getting familiar with different cultures and getting some wider perspective on world. I also heard that in UK they put much more focus in practical, than theoretical education, as opposed to Polish universities.

My point is, could someone please point me some of universities that offer good quality manufacturing engineering master`s course? I`m looking for course with high share of lab, project and design classes.

I had, or will have classes in:
- Manufacturing techniques (casting, moulding, plastic forming, welding, machining etc.)
- Mathematics and Physics
- Engineering materials (metals, plastics, rubbers, ceramics)
- Mechanics (statics, kinematics, dynamics, strength of materials)
- Mechanical Design
- Drafting and CAD (Autocad, Inventor, ProEngineer, + I`m taking SolidEdge this year)
- Thermodynamics and Fluid dynamics
- Production management
- Basics of control, robotics, hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, computer science.
Biggest emphasis was put on first category.

How much does it differ from bachelor`s degree curriculum in UK? Is there something I should learn on my own before taking master`s course here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you try universities that are former polytechnics, like Brighton, or Coventry. They had a reputation for practical based courses, but the situation is always changing, and financial cut-backs often result in expensive practical work being reduced. So you do need up-to-date information. There are also MSc courses by work-based learning (or sometimes called MSc by Learning Objectives) where you have a negotiated learning contract, and they can be tailored to suit your specific needs. There is one at Brighton like that, linked to local industry. The Institution of Mechanical Engineers might be able to provide you with a list of Institutions that provide what you want, and have the Institution's accredition.

1. What is a Master's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK?

A Master's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK is a graduate level program that focuses on the design, development, and implementation of manufacturing processes and systems. It combines theoretical knowledge with hands-on practical experience to prepare students for careers in the manufacturing industry.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Master's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK?

The admission requirements for a Master's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK may vary among universities, but typically include a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a minimum GPA, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose.

3. How long does it take to complete a Master's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK?

The duration of a Master's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK varies depending on the program and whether a student is studying full-time or part-time. Typically, it takes 1-2 years to complete the program full-time, and 2-3 years part-time.

4. What are the career prospects for graduates with a Master's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK?

Graduates with a Master's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, electronics, and pharmaceuticals. They can work in roles such as manufacturing engineer, quality control engineer, process engineer, and project manager.

5. Can international students apply for a Master's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK?

Yes, international students can apply for a Master's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering in UK. However, they may need to meet additional requirements, such as English language proficiency and obtaining a student visa. It is recommended to check with the specific university for their international student admission process.