Single variable optimization problem

In summary, Jane can row her boat at 5 mph and can walk at 3 mph. She should land her boat at x miles from the point nearest the boat to reach the village in the least amount of time. x=6 seems like a reasonable solution.
Daveyboy

Homework Statement

Jane is 2 miles offshore in a boat and wishes to reach a coastal village 6 miles down a straight shoreline from the point nearest the boat. She can row her boat at 5 mph and can walk at 3 mph. Where should she land her boat to reach the village in the least amount of time.

Homework Equations

I don't know how to make a diagram so I'll try to describe it as carefully as possible.
There are two legs of a right triangle one 2 miles and the other 6 miles. (distance to shore and shore to village).
Let x be the distance from where the two legs (from above) meet to where the boat lands.
Then the distance the boat travels is [tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+4}[/tex] by the Pythagorean theorem.
Then the distance walked is 6-x miles.
Now use time = distance/rate
also the times can be added together to find the total time it takes for the trip. I'll take the derivative and try to solve for 0 but the solution is not real.
I'm sure I have the strategy correct for this problem, and I'm very confident I have the derivative and algebra correct. I think I need to interpret my system differently though, because I feel like I am only off my a minus sign somewhere.

The Attempt at a Solution

T(x) = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+4}}{5}[/tex] +[tex]\frac{6-x}{3}[/tex]

T'(x) = [tex]\frac{x}{5(\sqrt{x^{2}+4}}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

When I try to solve T'(x) = 0 I do not get real answers. This is a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
If she can row faster than she can walk, wouldn't it make sense to go directly to the village from her current location (in which case x=6)?

Daveyboy said:

Homework Statement

Jane is 2 miles offshore in a boat and wishes to reach a coastal village 6 miles down a straight shoreline from the point nearest the boat. She can row her boat at 5 mph and can walk at 3 mph. Where should she land her boat to reach the village in the least amount of time.

Strange, are you certain that you read/copied the question correctly? Perhaps you reversed the rates for walking and rowing.

Yes, I copied the question down correctly. (I'm looking at the question right now and she can indeed row faster than she can walk.) Do you have any idea as to why my set up would give no real solutions? As Dango said x=6 should be a solution, so when I take the derivative I should get 6 as a critical point?
I now recall that one always has to check the endpoints of the interval which x belongs to. Namely, [0,6]. Upon evaluation I find that T(6)<T(0).
Since T is continuous and T'(x) is negative on [0,6]. T is monotonic decreasing there, so T(6) is the smallest time possible.

Is this a reasonable solution to the problem?
The teacher wrote this question on the fly I guess, so I'll attempt the problem with the rates changed.
Thanks for the responses guys.

What is a single variable optimization problem?

A single variable optimization problem is a type of mathematical problem where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a single variable, while keeping all other variables constant. This is often done using calculus techniques such as finding the derivative and setting it equal to zero.

What are some real-life applications of single variable optimization problems?

Single variable optimization problems can be found in many fields, such as engineering, economics, and physics. For example, engineers may use single variable optimization to determine the most efficient design for a structure, while economists may use it to maximize profits or minimize costs.

What are the steps to solving a single variable optimization problem?

The first step is to define the problem and identify the variable to be optimized. Then, take the derivative of the function with respect to that variable and set it equal to zero. Solve for the value of the variable that makes the derivative equal to zero, and check if it is a maximum or minimum using the second derivative test. Finally, plug in the value of the variable into the original function to find the optimized value.

Can single variable optimization problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for single variable optimization problems to have multiple solutions. This can happen when the function has multiple maximum or minimum points, or when the derivative is equal to zero at multiple points. In these cases, it is important to check each solution to determine which one is the absolute maximum or minimum.

What are some common techniques used to solve single variable optimization problems?

In addition to using calculus techniques, such as finding the derivative and setting it equal to zero, other common techniques include using graphical methods, such as plotting the function and visually identifying the maximum or minimum point, and using optimization algorithms, such as gradient descent, to iteratively find the optimal solution.